Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Has Added Another Advertisement Inside of Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 20 January 2017 - 12:40 PM

Microsoft is showing no signs of slowing down with ads inside the OS and is pushing further ahead by promoting its own products on the taskbar. We have previously seen the company suggest using Edge when it is pinned to the taskbar and now we are seeing the company advertise an extension for Chrome as well.

Article

myce-chrome-microsoft-psa-windows-10.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,014 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2017 - 12:50 PM

For heaven's sake, if you don't want to see this sort of stuff:

1. Open Settings
  2. Open Privacy
  3. Throw toggle for "Let Apps use my advertising ID for experiences across apps (turning this off will reset your ID)" to OFF

I have yet to experience a single ad in Windows 10, anywhere that's controlled by the OS itself, because this was one of the Privacy settings I turned OFF as part of setting up my machine.  I get that some people, including myself, hate advertising just popping up unbidden.  This control eliminates all that, or at least it has for me.  I can't imagine I wouldn't have had some sort of desktop advertising from Microsoft long before now if it didn't.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2017 - 12:53 PM

I wonder why the articles do not mention turning off the option. Maybe Microsoft should turn off ads by default.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,014 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2017 - 12:58 PM

I wonder why the articles do not mention turning off the option. Maybe Microsoft should turn off ads by default.

I have no idea why the articles don't mention how to turn this off.  Perhaps they do not know they can?   It seems that quite a few complaints about Windows 10 are the direct result of abject ignorance and willingness to whine or speculate wildly without doing any research whatsoever.

No company is going to turn off by default something that might promote additional use of or sales of other products they make.  It would not be in their business interest to do so.

They give you the option to turn this off, and it takes virtually zero time.

In the final analysis, even if I hate what the defaults for any given program are, I have no sympathy for those who won't bother to look through default settings as a standard part of installing anything, be it an app, application program, or OS.  People will whine regardless of what a given default might be.  It's up to a user to customize their own settings to their own liking.  It is impossible for anyone else, be they an individual technician or an entity such as Microsoft, to do so.

Edited by britechguy, 20 January 2017 - 01:00 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 20 January 2017 - 01:07 PM

Perhaps they do not know they can?

If they are intentionally adding ads I suspect the last thing they want to do is to inform user of a way to circumvent them.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2017 - 01:18 PM

I wouldn't mind if the OS was free. I could understand the logic of putting ads in a free Windows OS but Windows 10 is no longer free and personally I wouldn't like paying $100 for the privilege of seeing ads. On a paid OS Microsoft should have a balloon tip showing how to turn off any ads that pop up.

I can install linux and not worry about these sorts of ads. Freedom is great. My philosophy is if you don't like Windows, move on, which is exactly what I'm doing after support ends for 7 & 8.

#7 HolyCowz

HolyCowz

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 20 January 2017 - 01:44 PM

Microsoft is a member of the linux foundation. They have even developed there own linux os.

John you can turn lots off in windows 10 hit start then the cog logo and then go through all 9 tabs and disable what you don't like.

It shows a bit in detail here http://www.pcworld.com/article/2971725/windows/how-to-reclaim-your-privacy-in-windows-10-piece-by-piece.html

#8 Foldingchair

Foldingchair

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2017 - 01:57 PM

A lot of the "ads" in Windows 10 I don't really consider ads. Now those annoying things on Facebook and Google, those are ads.

At worst the only thing I've seen in Windows 10 is a suggested app in my start menu. Most of people's annoyances are due to the fact that they don't bother taking a close look at all the settings in Windows 10, I think.

Once you set it up the way you want, it will work perfectly for your needs. That's my opinion anyway. I haven't regret moving to Windows 10 once, and I'm someone who's extremely dependent of their computer. My life is literally computers and digital environments and I value a proper streamlined OS a lot, especially as an intermediate, or dare I say "expert" computer user.

Edited by Foldingchair, 20 January 2017 - 01:58 PM.

"Peace and blessings be upon you all."

#9 HolyCowz

HolyCowz

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2017 - 02:09 PM

I agree foldingchair win 10 is ok once it is set up and seems to run better than any of it's predecessors for speed.

It's just a learning curve to find everything again. I'm a noddy user lol.

I don't get add's on Google how comes you do?

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,014 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2017 - 02:18 PM

Perhaps they do not know they can?

If they are intentionally adding ads I suspect the last thing they want to do is to inform user of a way to circumvent them.

dc3, I meant the author of the articles, not Microsoft.

There are an awful lot of "how to disable ads" articles out there.  I had forgotten about a couple of "odd ways," such as the Get Microsoft Office app, that generated what I consider to be ads, turned notifications off for in the System Settings, Notification & Actions Pane, "Get notifications from these senders" section .  I also turned off the "Occasionally show suggestions in Start" option in Personalization, Start Menu Pane.

Between having my advertising ID disabled/OFF (which I know is what has prevented most of the ads) and the other two tweaks I can't recall having ever seen anything from the OS that I'd consider an ad since.

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,014 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2017 - 02:22 PM

I agree foldingchair win 10 is ok once it is set up and seems to run better than any of it's predecessors for speed.

It's just a learning curve to find everything again. I'm a noddy user lol.

I don't get add's on Google how comes you do?

The search feature in Settings is very, very handy for locating settings and Microsoft has done a mighty good jobs as far as linking synonyms for searches so that a number of different search terms will lead you to the correct place.

If you don't get ads on Google you must be using an ad blocker of some sort.  I've been using Adblock Plus for a very long time now and, as a result, am shocked when I go to work on a computer where it's not installed.  I thought ads were hard to tolerate way back when, now they're several orders of magnitude worse, at least for me.

#12 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,822 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 20 January 2017 - 02:22 PM

Microsoft is showing no signs of slowing down with ads inside the OS and is pushing further ahead by promoting its own products on the taskbar. We have previously seen the company suggest using Edge when it is pinned to the taskbar and now we are seeing the company advertise an extension for Chrome as well.

Article

myce-chrome-microsoft-psa-windows-10.png

This will never effect me because I have never had that enabled.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#13 HolyCowz

HolyCowz

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2017 - 02:24 PM

@britechguy I block a lot of ads and other stuff using the host's file.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 20 January 2017 - 02:24 PM

Thank you for the clarification Bri. :thumbup2:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#15 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,014 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2017 - 02:25 PM

My philosophy is if you don't like Windows, move on, which is exactly what I'm doing after support ends for 7 & 8.

Would that more subscribed to this wise philosophy.  While none (or at least very few) of us have any choice about what OS our respective employers decide to go with, that's always been true.  On our personal computers no one is forcing anyone to stick with any given OS.

I get intensely disliking a given OS for entirely personal reasons.  If that's the case, the market is open and other options exist.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users