Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot boot computer

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 pchelpplz

pchelpplz

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2017 - 12:05 PM

Hi, I am unable to boot my computer. I get to the menu where you can troubleshoot problems (e.g. refresh PC, reset your PC, open cmd window, etc.). I have tried refreshing and resetting multiple times, but it says there is a problem and changes were undone. I have tried many things including following these instructions to no avail:

"Rename the System and Software registry hives to System.001 and Software.001 by using the following commands:

ren system system.001
ren software software.001"

I have an ASUS Q550LF laptop running Windows 10. 

I started having this problem after I tried a fix for my disk usage running at 100% for long periods of time after startup. This is what I did, which then led to the booting problem after attempting to restart:

"After trying stopping and disabling WSearch, superfetch and BIT all worked temporarily. the real culprit seemed to be the pagefile settings. go to control panel/system and security/system/advanced system settings under performance click settings, advanced tab click change, set min to 1024 x your ram to convert to MB and set max to 2 x the min. click set, OK and apply. requires a restart. Stopped my 100% disk usage and windows now loads faster hope this helps."

Any ideas or solutions? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,600 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 20 January 2017 - 12:36 PM

You initially posted that you can't boot into the operating system, at the end of your post you stated that it is booting faster.  Is it booting properly now?

Do you have all of your important data baked up on removable media?  Examples of removable media:  external hdd, flash drive, cloud account, etc.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 pchelpplz

pchelpplz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2017 - 12:39 PM

Sorry, I was unclear. I still cannot boot my computer. The quoted paragraph was somebody else's post on how to fix disk usage. I did what was underlined then could not boot after. So no, it is not booting properly.

I think I have the most important things backed up. I might lose some recent pictures, but nothing too critical. If I could keep my files that would be ideal, but I am willing to wipe everything to get it booting again.

Thanks for your response. 

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,667 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 20 January 2017 - 12:39 PM

Actually dc3 the OP still can't boot into his computer. If you read his post carefully, the end part of his post is a quote of the thing that he did to get him into this predicament.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,600 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2017 - 12:47 PM

@Rocky Bennet

The manner in which the quoted portion was posted made it unclear as to whether this was what they had attempted and was their results.  I was asking for a clarification.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,600 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2017 - 12:51 PM

I think I have the most important things backed up. I might lose some recent pictures, but nothing too critical. If I could keep my files that would be ideal, but I am willing to wipe everything to get it booting again.

How to perform a Windows 10 Refresh from Installation Media

To do a Refresh on a computer which can not boot you will need Windosw 10 Installation Media.

If you don't have installation media you can use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to create installation media for either a disc or flash drive.  Follow the instruction for the second option Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC.

In order to use either form of installation media you need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the type of media (disc or USB flash drive) is the first device in the boot order, and the ssd/hdd the second device.

If you are using a disc place it in the tray of your optical drive, close the door and restart the computer.  When the computer recognizes the disc it will instruct you to press any button to boot from the disc.

If you are using a USB flash drive place it in a USB port and restart the computer.  You will receive the message to press any key to boot from the device.

There is a very good tutorial available, you will find it here.

#7 pchelpplz

pchelpplz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2017 - 01:34 PM

Edit: found the instructions. I was looking in the wrong place

Maybe I am not finding it, but the tutorial you posted looks like it is installing Windows 10 from within an already booted computer. Can I install Windows 10 on my Asus without being able to boot? I am not able to find these instructions on that link, specifically "Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC."

Edited by pchelpplz, 20 January 2017 - 01:35 PM.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,600 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2017 - 02:20 PM

It appears that your computer originally came with Windows 8.1 and you upgraded to Windows 10.  You can use the Media Creation Tool to create a installation disc or USB drive to reinstall Windows 10.  The product code for Windows 10 is digitally recorded by Microsoft, this means that when you reinstall your version of Windows 10 successfully it will automatically activate this copy of Windows 10.

You will need to download the ISO version that you have install, example:  Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.  You will need to enter the BIOS and change the boot order so that the first device in the boot order is set for the type of installation media you are going to be using (disc or USB flash drive), you will then need to make the ssd/hdd the second device in the boot order.  The BIOS is not part of the Windows operating system, so you should be able to enter it by pressing the F key used for this purpose. 

Insert the installation media and restart the computer.  You will see a page with the message "press any key to continue" you will know that you have started the installation properly, press any key to continue the installation.

Do you need a tutorial to do this installation?

#9 pchelpplz

pchelpplz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2017 - 02:37 PM

I will give it a try with your instructions. I'll let you know if I need a tutorial, but for now I should be OK. Thank you for all your help!

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,600 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2017 - 03:33 PM

I may not be here much later, but I will be here around 5:00 am PST in the morning.

#11 pchelpplz

pchelpplz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2017 - 03:43 PM

No worries, I won't be starting this until tomorrow likely. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users