Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A lesson in keeping troubleshooting simple.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 digitalmatter

digitalmatter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 20 January 2017 - 09:58 AM

Throughout my time repairing computers the topic of learning to troubleshoot the basics is always brought up and easily forgotten. Today, I learned that lesson again.  I am the systems admin in the marine industry and from time to time to time I have to fix the computers. Our mobile mechanics use Panasonic Toughbooks and one was brought to me a few days ago that would not turn on. The battery light was flashing red, the computer would not turn on even with the AC Adapter plugged in. 

I ran a multimeter to the AC Adapter and got the 12 volts being pushed out and immediately jumped to the conclusion it was the DC jack. With these laptops you have to disassemble the whole unit to get to the jack. Running a multimeter to the DC Jack I realize that is not the issue and in my head start cussing quite a few words.  I have more important stuff to do with my time and I would rather just replace the unit and swap the drives.

I grab an AC Adapter off my desk thinking it was the adapter given to me with the unit and notice it was different. I checked the adapter and noticed it was a 16v adapter instead of a 12v. Lo and behold, the unit boots and charges with a 16v adapter.  

The entire time the mechanic was trying to use the wrong adapter and I assumed it was the correct adapter when the unit was turned into me. 

I am so glad today is Friday.  Lesson learned again.  You got me again Loch Ness monstah!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 20 January 2017 - 11:17 AM

I learned that lesson the hard way once. It was just a hard drive case, but still. Now I always always always check the power supply first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users