Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to pixelate an image

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 20 January 2017 - 12:56 AM

I am looking for a graphics editing tool that can convert an image (photo or cartoon) into a grid (MxN) of square mono-color cells (pixels?) that when viewed from a distance will resemble the original image. Is this called "pixelating"?

I just bought a new building block toy called PinBlock. One of the things it is good at is making "pixelated" images. All of the building "blocks" are identical except for color. Each one is 3/8" x 3/8". If I could find an image processing tool that would "pixelate" an image (photo or cartoon). I could then construct that image out of PinBlocks. I think that would be a fun project to do with the grandkids.

I believe high-end tools like PhotoShop can do this, but I don't have $800 to spend just for this. I do have IrfanView. It has a Resize/Resample feature, but I haven't been able to get it to produce the result I am looking for.

For example, I have a cartoon image of Peppa Pig that IV says is 900 x 900 x 24 BPP. At 72 PPI, that's 12.5" x 12.5", which would be about 33 blocks x 33 blocks (each 3/8" wide) or 1,089 blocks in all. Each box has 1,000 blocks, so this is theoretically doable, but I'd need more that pne box to get enough of the colors I need. So I need to be able to chop this image up into a 33x33 grid where each cell in one single color that best represents the colors in that original cell (and, perhaps, the surrounding neighbors).

Here's a tutorial on YouTube by the founder that shows a simple (crude) pixelation of Iron Man.

Can anyone show me how to do this in IrfanView or suggest a different program that can do this?

I would want to be able to specify the total number of pixels so I can tradeoff the number of PinBlocks needed against the quality of the result.

Thanks

Running Win 10 & Office 365.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Saham

Saham

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:01 PM

there you go :

http://www198.lunapic.com/editor/?action=pixels