Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't connect to internet after installing new hard drive

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 robertsonroro

robertsonroro

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 19 January 2017 - 08:45 PM

Hello, I have an HP Pavilion m9426f desktop.  I recently had to replace the hard drive and reinstall windows vista 64 bit.  When I was done installing windows, I tried to get on the internet directly through an Ethernet cord, but received a message saying "this computer does not have a wireless network adapter installed and configured".  I went to my Device Manager and could see that there are 4 exclamation pointed issues.  I have attached a picture of this.  Could you please help me find out what drivers I am missing to be able to connect to the internet.  thank youAttached File  Device Manager View.jpg   202.75KB   3 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 19 January 2017 - 08:58 PM

Download the following driver on another computer and copy to a flash drive. 

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-pavilion-elite-m9400-desktop-pc-series/3794173/model/3816185/swItemId/pv-77712-1

For the other devices with an exclamation mark right click each device and select Properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and post the first line for each device.

#3 robertsonroro

robertsonroro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2017 - 09:47 PM

I tried to install the file from the link that was posted, and it said " Your system does not meet the operating system requirements.  Update has been cancelled. (9998)"  On the page of the link under system requirements it says "You must have a Microsoft Windows 7 32-bit operating system."  I am trying to find information for Windows Vista 64 bit home premium edition. also here is the information for the other devices exclamation pointed. I typed the info since I had to use a different computer to post this.

Standard VGA Graphics Adapter - PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9598&SUBSYS_90101043&REV_00

Network Controller - PCI\VEN_1814&DEV_0781&SUBSYS_760011AD&REV_00

SM Bus Controller - PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2930&SUBSYS_2A6F103C&REV_02

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2017 - 09:52 PM

If you look at the link I provided it says the driver is also for Vista 64bit, Click View All next to Windows 7 32bit.

I will edit this post when I find the additional drivers. 

In the mean time see if this realtek driver works. 

Vista and Server 2008 Auto Installation Program (SID:1801665)

106.13 2016/3/3 6056k

Edit: The Network Controller is your Wifi adapter. I am having a hard time finding the driver for Vista. Will update.

I found a Vendor and Device ID for your Wifi Adapter. You will need to update the driver from within Device Manager. Download and copy the attached zip file to your desktop. Unzip it and point to the inf file when updating the drive.

This link shows the method. Do not use the DriverEasy Software.

Post back if the Wifi driver works.

Edit: Video Driver 

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/legacy?product=legacy2&os=Windows+Vista+-+64

Once you have internet download and run the Intel Driver Update Utility.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html?iid=dc_iduu

Attached Files

Edited by JohnC_21, 20 January 2017 - 09:19 AM.

#5 robertsonroro

robertsonroro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2017 - 12:00 AM

Hello again,  THANK YOU!!!  The zip file fixed the wifi adapter.  I am now online with the computer in question downloading the remaining files to fix the exclamation errors in device manager.  Thanks John C

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2017 - 09:21 AM

Your Welcome, Glad you now have internet. If you have any additional issues feel free post any questions you have.

#7 robertsonroro

robertsonroro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2017 - 12:37 AM

Hello again,

I still have an exclamation point for the SM Bus Controller PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2930&SUBSYS_2A6F103C&REV_02

also, windows update stopped finding updates for me and is only telling me windows could not search for new updates, error code 8024A000, when i clicked on get help, it says you have lost your connection to the windows help and support website, try to connect again, but never connects.  any idea on how I can fix these problems?  I need to install the service pack 1 and then 2 to be able to use steam for the game rust.

also, I have a download for microsoft office 2010 that says "this installation package cannot be installed by the windows installer service. you must install a windows service pack that contains a newer version of the windows installer service. 

I have no idea where to begin fixing these issues, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by robertsonroro, 21 January 2017 - 12:40 AM.

#8 robertsonroro

robertsonroro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2017 - 12:49 AM

here are screen shots of the installed updates so far

Attached Files

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2017 - 09:14 AM

I will continue to look for the SMBus driver. If the intel utility did not find it then download this inf identification tool..

Post back if that solves the SMBus issue.

Do you have Vista SP2? Right click Computer and select Properties. If not then use the standalone package here.

Windows Updates have been having a lot of trouble lately on clean installs. I know how to fix Windows 7 but not Vista. I would start a new thread in the Vista Forum with the title of Cannot Update Vista. You may also want to see this thread for possible solutions. It has over 300000 views so you are not alone.

Note: Vista will not longer be supported with Security Updates after April 2017 and no Security Updates will be offered so I highly recommend you do not do any banking or internet purchases using this computer after this date. In any case I would not use the computer for banking or internet purchases until you have all Security Updates. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 January 2017 - 09:32 AM.

#10 robertsonroro

robertsonroro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2017 - 12:08 PM

Hello,

that inf identification tool fixed the issue on the sm bus controller, thank you yet again.  I will start a new post as you suggested for the vista update problem.  I will make sure I do not do any banking or purchases.  hope you have a good day, thanks!

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2017 - 12:14 PM

Your Welcome,

Good Luck on fixing Windows Update. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users