Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Inspiron, Windows 8, can't get past Windows login

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SweetPeaMcD

SweetPeaMcD

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 19 January 2017 - 06:05 PM

I inherited my mother's Dell Inspiron 3520 when she passed away summer before last and never really messed with it until my father passed a few weeks ago.  She was notorious for making crazy passwords and going through computers and laptops because she was fearlessly dangerous.  ;)  I can get in the System and HDD passwords, but not into the Windows password. I tried contacting Microsoft about resetting the password, but no such luck.  At this point, I'm guessing any photos on the laptop are lost.  (She mainly used the desktop for photos and the laptop for browsing since she was not mobile.)

I've tried using the information from this link:  http://superuser.com/questions/951907/locked-out-of-windows-10-login-no-longer-shows-administrator-but-only-an-accou  and trying to follow their instructions (but for Windows 8), but I cannot get to a command prompt.

"If you cannot sign into Windows at all, have no other boot devices, and want to use no software - do the following.

Click/Tap on the Power button under the Start Menu or on the lower right-hand side of the Login screen, press and hold the Shift key, and click/tap on Restart. This will open a command prompt at boot.  Click/Tap on the Power button under the Start Menu or on the lower right-hand side of the Login screen, press and hold the Shift key, and click/tap on Restart.  This will open a command prompt at boot."

Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 19 January 2017 - 06:45 PM

You should be able to boot a live linux disk or USB flash drive and copy any files to a USB external drive.

Fatdog64 is a good distro for copying files to an external. If you are interested I can provide further instructions.

You can also enable the Hidden Administrator Account and login through it. I would not reset any password, only enable the hidden Administrator Account.

http://www.wintips.org/enable-administrator-account-or-reset-admin-account-password-windows-8-windows-7-or-windows-vista/

In order to boot the CD created in the above link you will need to disable SecureBoot in your UEFI settings and possibly enable Legacy/CSM boot.

#3 SweetPeaMcD

SweetPeaMcD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 19 January 2017 - 07:56 PM

Well, I tried making a disc, but it doesn't seem to work.  The boot list is:

Boot List Option: Legacy

Secure Boot:  Disabled

Load Legacy Option Rom:  Enabled

1st boot priority: CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive

2nd boot priority: Hard Drive

3rd boot priority: USB

Went back and restored defaults and now it keeps telling me to reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key.  I press a key and get told to reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key...

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 19 January 2017 - 08:02 PM

Was this the program to enable the Hidden Administrator Account? Go back and set Secure Boot to enabled and the Load Legacy Option to disabled from enabled. 

Set your hard drive as the second boot device. Also make sure you are in UEFI mode and not Legacy. Does the computer boot to Windows? Dell allows you to select your boot device by tapping F12 at boot,

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN142679/DE

I think your best solution is to use Fatdog64 to copy any files and then reinstall Windows.

How did you burn the iso file? On Windows 7 or later you can right click the iso file and select Burn Disk Image.

Edited by JohnC_21, 19 January 2017 - 08:21 PM.

#5 Mallues

Mallues

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 19 January 2017 - 08:19 PM

If Windows 8 32-bit installation disc doesn't work, try the 64-bit installation disc.

Or use the third-party password recovery software discussed in this post:

https://www.technibble.com/forums/threads/lost-windows-password.72265/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users