Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD Showing as "Dynamic, Invalid", but passes SMART tests

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JesusTheAstronaut

JesusTheAstronaut

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:47 PM

Problem description: Hopped on my PC yesterday, and noticed that all shortcuts pointing to my 4TB WD HDD (WD4003FZEX) were broken. Pulled up 'My Computer' and noticed that the entire drive letter was no longer showing up. Checked Device manager and BIOS and it shows up there. Then went Disk Management and noticed this:
tqzRkyT.jpg
My 500Gb SSD that loads my OS is fine, but DISK 1, which is my 4TB is now showing as Dynamic, Invalid, and when I right click it an choose "reactive Disk" the error in the above screenshot is then what comes up.

So I checked windows Event Viewer to see when this started, and saw these, and they go on for HOURS (while I was asleep and then at work):
Ostviv7.jpg

At this point I assumed its just a failed HDD and would have moved on, however, I downloaded the WD LifeGuard utility and ran both the Quick and Extended SMART tests and both, to my surprise, PASSED. 

MJovIfq.jpg

I tried a data recovery program like 'WonderShare Data Recovery', and it is able to see the drive, and to detect and recover some data, but only about 1/3 of what should be on there, though I can hear the drive spinning normally once something is able to access it. So now I'm not sure what this is about. Is this a physically good drive and the issue is data corruption? What from? Is there any way to repair the partition and get everything working again without formatting the drive? Also why does a 4TB HDD show as "4001GB" in WD Diagnostic, (or 4000.79GB), could that be related to this issue?

Attempted fixes: Aside from from running SMART test and checking if data can be recovered from drive, I have not moved to attempt to fix issue for fear of data loss, since all fixes I've seen online involve formatting drive, or changing drive from 'Dynamic' to 'Basic' which also appears to delete all data on the drive.

Recent changes: About 15 minutes prior to the NTFS errors in the event log started appearing, I had begun a 10GB update to the PC game "World of Warships" and let the computer run overnight to complete it. No other changes were made before or during that time, and this is how things were the next day when I went to check on the update. Windows updates are DISABLED and only ever done manually.

System specs:

• Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
  • Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.00GHz
  • ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO (SOCKET 1150)
  • 16.0GB DDR3 @ 1199MHz
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (Gigabyte)
  • Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB
  • Western Digital WDC WD4003FZEX <- drive that's acting up

Thanks to whoever takes a look at this and can offer some insight.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,872 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:58 PM

Info.

Was this drive originally set up as a dynamic disk?

More Info.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 19 January 2017 - 01:00 PM.

#3 JesusTheAstronaut

JesusTheAstronaut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2017 - 01:31 PM

Info.

Was this drive originally set up as a dynamic disk?

More Info.

Louis

That's a great question, and to be honest I don't know, but don't think so unless windows defaults a disk as dynamic during normal formatting. Since this was a secondary drive, I simply installed it and did a quick-format as NTFS, and started using it, and it's worked fine for over year so I don't think I've ever checked 'disk management' prior to this incident. Either way, I'm going to try the method "MiniTool Partition Wizard Pro" as suggested in one of your links and thank you for giving me something to start with.

EDIT:

Unfortunately, that did not work. MiniTook Partion Wizard shows the drive as a "Bad Disk", and errors out when attempting to convert from dynamic to basic disk, with no options to repair:

IKzC2bL.jpg

Edited by JesusTheAstronaut, 19 January 2017 - 01:41 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,994 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 19 January 2017 - 01:56 PM

See this video. You may need to select GPT instead of intel because your drive is 4TB. Do not download the 64bit version of Testdisk even if you have 64bit Windows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pqt8_ktNkiw

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,872 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2017 - 01:59 PM

I did not think that there would be success...my original thought was that you will probably wind up deleting the dynamic disk partitions and then starting as if it were a new drive.

But I'm moving this to Disk Management because the members there have a lot more experience and may have some valid suggestions for attempted resolution :).

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 19 January 2017 - 02:00 PM.

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 20 January 2017 - 04:55 PM

Just out of curiosity, where did you get this disk? Was it pre-used out of another computer, or purchased brand new and in the packaging?

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users