Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Pavilion 500-164 Desktop Recovery issue maybe BIOS related

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Tinroad

Tinroad

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:31 PM

Hi guys

Wasn't exactly sure where to post this because I am unsure what is causing the problem.

Customer brought this to me to fix

HP Pavilion 500-164 

AMD Elite Quad Core A8-6500 Accelerated Processor

8GB DDR3

2TB HD

AMD Radeon HD 8570D Graphics

Originally installed with Windows 8 but upgraded to 10

History - 

1. Customer says his printer went offline and he can't get it back plus he is having a number of other issues with the computer.  He tried to reinstall Win 10 through recovery like he has before but it wouldn't work.  He asked me to reinstall windows from scratch.

2. I tried the same recovery option from within Windows but it failed every time.

3. I downloaded ISO image of Windows 10 (64 bit) from Microsoft and burned the image to DVD

4. Set boot order to start with DVD 

5. Loaded DVD with ISO and the computer would get as far as "Press any key to load from CD/DVD" but never loaded.  It would continue to load from the HD

6. To make matters worse about half the time the DVD would not be detected when trying to load the ISO.  I would go to the boot order in BIOS and the DVD player would be listed.  I would have to unplug from power for a bit for it to find it again. I would eventually make it so only the DVD would be listed as a possible boot option and then it stopped disappearing.

7. I created two more ISO images from Microsoft thinking maybe the original was corrupt.  They wouldn't work either.

8. I took the HD out and reformatted the C: and recovery partitions thinking something on the HD was preventing the ISO from working.  ISO still didn't work and the computer tries to Automatically fix itself which always fails of course.

9. I even tried a 32 bit version of Win 10 thinking maybe I was wrong about the version but all my research after reformatting the HD points to 64 bit version.

10. I downloaded Minitool Partition thinking I need to delete both partitions and then recreate the partitions but Minitool Partition will only load to the opening screen.  Once I hit enter to continue a black rectangle appears and it eventually restarts.  

I am out of ideas of how to fix this.  

Could it be the DVD player/burner?  The BIOS?

Thanks

Shannon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:55 PM

Download Rufus. Attach a spare blank flash drive. Run Rufus and make sure the flash drive is detected in the first box. Select GPT as a partition scheme in the dropdown box. Leave all boxes as checked. If you see FreeDos in a dropdown box change it to iso image. Click the icon and browse to your 64bit iso image of Windows 10. Press Start.

Attach the flash drive and tap F9 which will give you boot menu to select your boot device.

At the first screen that asks for language press Shift + F10 to open a command prompt and type the following commands.

diskpart     -  Will open the diskpart command prompt

list disk      -  Lists all disks detected by diskpart

select disk X   -   Where X is the number associated with the disk Windows will be installed to. This should be disk 0.

clean              -    Deletes all existing partitions

convert GPT   -   Initializes the disk as GPT for a UEFI computer

exit                 -   Exits out of diskpart

exit                 -   Exits out of command prompt

continue with the install

#3 Tinroad

Tinroad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2017 - 04:54 PM

Did everything you asked and all I get to is the windows logo with the spinning dots below.  It never boots. Sometimes it doesn't even make it that far.  

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,438 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2017 - 05:05 PM

Have you tried a different iso file or use the Media Creation Tool to create a bootable flash drive directly? 

Using Rufus download fatdog64, approx 300MB, and create a bootable USB flash drive. 

Tap F9 at boot and select the flash drive. Does Fatdog boot to it's desktop? If it does then I think it may be your Windows iso that is corrupted.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/

Fatdog64-710.iso

#5 Tinroad

Tinroad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2017 - 06:52 PM

I used the media creation tool to create four bootable DVDs none of which worked.  Haven't tried it on USB yet.

Created fatdog on USB and so far the computer doesn't detect the USB to try and load it.  Took a few tries for it to find the Windows10 USB before it failed to boot it.  

Very frustrating.  Wondering if the BIOS is failing.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,438 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2017 - 06:59 PM

It sure seems like some kind of hardware issue. At first I thought it could possibly be a bad optical drive. That is why I recommended a USB flash drive. Fatdog can boot on a UEFI computer with SecureBoot enabled so I am surprised it failed too. When you tap F9 with the flash drive attached the flash drive's not detected? I know HP provides a legacy boot option using F9 but that shouldn't be required for Fatdog or the Windows 10 USB.

I am out of ideas on this, sorry. Hopefully somebody else can jump in. 

#7 Tinroad

Tinroad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2017 - 07:12 PM

No the flash drive isn't detected with fatdog but the windows 10 USB wasn't detected the first few tries either, and then there it was but wouldn't boot.  Ill try again tomorrow and see if fatdog starts working.  

Thanks for all your suggestions!

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,438 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2017 - 07:19 PM

When using Rufus see if selecting MBR partition scheme instead of GPT for fatdog changes anything.

#9 Tinroad

Tinroad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2017 - 10:49 AM

Ok back on track with the original instruction for installing Windows.  I had to turn secureboot off for the USB to work.  Installing now and will respond when done.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,438 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2017 - 11:01 AM

Ok back on track with the original instruction for installing Windows.  I had to turn secureboot off for the USB to work.  Installing now and will respond when done.

Interesting. Windows 10 and Fatdog should be able to boot with SecureBoot enabled. 

#11 Tinroad

Tinroad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2017 - 12:50 PM

So far so good.  I have completed windows update and am currently flashing the BIOS to its most recent update hoping that may solve some issues down the line.

Thanks for your help!

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,438 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2017 - 01:04 PM

No problem, Glad you were able to sort it out. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users