Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Could YouTube downloaded videos be infected (by Youtube)?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Raydahnold

Raydahnold

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 19 January 2017 - 09:06 AM

I downloaded Youtube videos, but found out just now it is illegal. I thought that if Mozilla page has add-on for that, it must be legal!

Could Youtube videos be infected? Could Youtube infect them to punish illegal downloading? I removed the add-on - should I delete those videos too to be safe?

If I use AVAST, Emsisoft Anti-Malware, Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware Free Edition, will I be safe and find anything there is?

I'll never download anything from Youtube ever again!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CyberSec_ET

CyberSec_ET

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 19 January 2017 - 10:02 AM

I downloaded Youtube videos, but found out just now it is illegal. I thought that if Mozilla page has add-on for that, it must be legal!

Could Youtube videos be infected? Could Youtube infect them to punish illegal downloading? I removed the add-on - should I delete those videos too to be safe?

If I use AVAST, Emsisoft Anti-Malware, Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware Free Edition, will I be safe and find anything there is?

YES! Delete the videos..

#3 Raydahnold

Raydahnold
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 19 January 2017 - 10:13 AM

YES! Delete the videos..

So Youtube can infect videos?

Will AVAST, Emsisoft Anti-Malware, Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware Free Edition help me to see if anything else were perhaps left behind?

Edited by Raydahnold, 19 January 2017 - 10:14 AM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,897 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 19 January 2017 - 07:35 PM

Using YouTube can be hazardous to your computer.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Guest_The_Thorn_Within_*

Guest_The_Thorn_Within_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 29 January 2017 - 06:29 AM

The majority of the above-supplied links either result in a "404 Not Found" link (YouTube Targeted By Malware Writers), the link doesn't take you to the specified article (Malicious videos open dangerous attack vector....), the site cannot be reached due to "ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT" (Fake YouTube Pages Infect Users With Malware), or the information discussed is 3,4,7 or even more than 10 years old and generally refers to vulnerabilities that are specific only to unpatched operating systems.

And then there's this:

YES! Delete the videos..

YT is NOT punishing downloaders by purposely infecting videos.

Downloading copyrighted material on the YT website is contrary to the ToS, but the Download Police are NOT going to come knocking on your door and arrest you.

Personally, I have yet to come across any proof that YT videos are themselves being infected with malware. Ads and browser add-ons can be a source of infection.

Edited by The_Thorn_Within, 29 January 2017 - 06:31 AM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,897 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2017 - 08:24 AM

I found three bad links. One has been fixed, two were replaced and I found two additional while searching to correct them. The point of including older articles is to show there is a history of malware being found on YouTube. Unfortunately, that means links will change or the original article removed resulting in broken links.

While I will agree YouTube is not pushing malware, it is a favorite venue for malware writers.

Malware writers would much rather target a large audience through social engineering where they can use sophisticated but less technical means than proof-of-concept viruses. Social engineering has become on of the most prolific tactics for distribution of malware, identity theft and fraud.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 29 January 2017 - 03:07 PM

The only thing I know YouTube puts in videos (when requested by the author) is the Content ID.

It's used by authors to track and protect their intellectual property.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#8 Kikobrian55

Kikobrian55

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 05 February 2017 - 05:16 AM

It depends on which program or app you are using to download the video.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users