Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it worth upgrading to R9 380 with FX-4100 processor?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sewe21

sewe21

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 19 January 2017 - 04:43 AM

Hello! Right now I can barely, if even run the new games released and I wondered if I could get away with just upgrading my gpu to a Radeon R9 380 and keep my AMD FX-4100. I know of the issue and high probability of my cpu bottlenecking my gpu but I'm short on cash and can't afford to buy both within a reasonable time window of each other.

I guess what I want to know is if I have a system of;

GPU: Radeon R9 380

CPU: AMD FX-4100

RAM: 8GB

will I be able to run the new releases like Titanfall 2, DOOM and Battlefield 1 on 1080p with the lowest settings?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 19 January 2017 - 05:55 AM

You should be able to at the lowest settings.  Most games are GPU bound. That AMD processor is marketed as quad-core, but due to the unique design of the FX processors, you may not get quad core performance except in heavily threaded applications that prefer hardware cores and not logical (HyperThreading) cores.  Later on, you can upgrade your CPU, or, if you're feeling adventurous, can go for the Ryzen processors and an AM4 motherboard when those are out.

3939.png

#3 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,401 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 19 January 2017 - 11:43 AM

That AMD processor is marketed as quad-core, but due to the unique design of the FX processors, you may not get quad core performance except in heavily threaded applications that prefer hardware cores and not logical (HyperThreading) cores.

:scratchhead:

Getting quad core performance requires software that uses at least four cores.

Essentially all software prefer hardware cores as hardware cores are better in every way compared to logical cores. Logical cores are only used because they are cheap compared to hardware cores.

#4 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 19 January 2017 - 01:11 PM

Hello! Right now I can barely, if even run the new games released and I wondered if I could get away with just upgrading my gpu to a Radeon R9 380 and keep my AMD FX-4100. I know of the issue and high probability of my cpu bottlenecking my gpu but I'm short on cash and can't afford to buy both within a reasonable time window of each other.

I guess what I want to know is if I have a system of;

GPU: Radeon R9 380

CPU: AMD FX-4100

RAM: 8GB

will I be able to run the new releases like Titanfall 2, DOOM and Battlefield 1 on 1080p with the lowest settings?

R9 380 is a pretty good GPU from the looks of it.

CPU is just about OK, single core performance isn't the best unfortunately but its a pretty good budget CPU.

RAM is RAM so 8 GB is always plenty.

Do you have a budget for these things and what is your current computer (without the upgrades) hardware.

#5 sewe21

sewe21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2017 - 02:12 PM

My current GPU is a Radeon HD 6870, i don't remember what motherboard(though I'll have to look it up to see that it works with the R9, I'm pretty sure it does) or PSU I have but it is a 500W PSU. My budget is either buying the R9 or not buying it haha though from the feedback I got I have been convinced to make the purchase, is there a way to mark this thread as solved?

Edited by hamluis, 19 January 2017 - 05:06 PM.

#6 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2017 - 02:29 PM

How much are you buying the 390 for?

Edited by hamluis, 19 January 2017 - 05:07 PM.

#7 sewe21

sewe21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2017 - 03:43 PM

1750kr => 195.64 dollar, this is with Sweden's high taxes included.

#8 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2017 - 03:50 PM

That's a pretty good price to be honest. It may bottleneck your CPU but not by too much hopefully.

Edited by hamluis, 19 January 2017 - 05:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users