Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Creating a secure network in a shared office complex

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RRArch

RRArch

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2017 - 04:00 AM

Hi all,

My first post, so this might be a bit of a noob question, and I'm sure it's a common occurrence.

I run an architectural practice and we are moving into a new office complex that provides an internet connection to each office via a shared fibre connection.

We need to move our network into the office and keep it secure; the amount of users in my office will be fairly small, around 3-4 workstations.

I currently have the following setup:

A WD My Could Mirror NAS connected to a router with internet connection, the workstations link via the wifi network provided by the router. The NAS allows remote connection via the internet, for working at home etc.

My questions are:

1. How do I set up the network with an internet connection without everyone in the office complex being able to see it (and potentially try to access it)
2. How to set up a wifi Network within my office to prevent the need for hard wiring (temporary measure as the office has not available trunking)

It may be as simple as connecting a wifi router to the broadband connection provided and carry on with the similar setup, but when searching I'm finding it difficult to find an answer.

Thanks

Richard

Edited by RRArch, 19 January 2017 - 04:02 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 19 January 2017 - 11:04 AM

Yes you would install your own wifi router.  But the real question is how is this fiber being delivered.  You need more information about this.

For example does in come into a building router and is then distributed to the offices?

Do you get public or private ip addresses?

This is very important concerning your outside coming in access to the NAS.  Usually you need to port forward which has to happen in the building router pointing those ports to your router which in turn you forward to your NAS

http://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=14881

If your router gets a public ip then its just a matter of setting forwarding on your router.

#3 RRArch

RRArch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2017 - 03:31 PM

Brilliant, thank you!

I'll look into the method of delivery for the fibre, and the port forwarding.

The most important thing is that we can move in and have a network, then I can work on the remote access.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users