Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

At the moment cannot surf the web using Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Synapse

Synapse

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 19 January 2017 - 02:33 AM

Hello all, 

It's nearly been a week now since I've been able to surf the web via Windows 10 Professional 64.
This happened when my pc was screwing up crazy, and did a couple disk checks to fix and delete

corrupted data. Then so happens things we're slightly back to normal then i restarted my pc that same night,
and noticed that i couldn't surf anymore. then i have Windows 7 dual booted, and it also suffered the same fate.
it's just that google services such as google.com and gmail.com those sites loaded well other sites did not.

Some how i fixed the issue, then tried to do the very same in windows 10 and was out of luck completely.
If it we'ren't for windows 7 i wouldn't be able to surf the web and play games (mainly WoW)  for instance. 

I have tried everything going to the cmd prompt flushing my dns, renewing ip address nothing worked, then

i had a crazy idea to purchase a USB WIFI adaptor, and it worked superbly in windows 7, the leds we're blinking 
on the device, now i am like "hell yeah" thinking the very same will work with Windows 10 and i was wrong, the device

was detected, and i think it's an windows 10 issue. being incompadible, i have nodea whats wrong with windows 10

even booted in safe mode with networking still couldn't surf. So at the moment, i may just have to purchase another Wifi USB 

dongle, but that's compadible with Windows 10 entirely.... you all know of any that's under 20-30 dollars? If you we're wondering

its a Wavlink AC1200, but i think Realtek has sold it to different companies. which is actually an Realtek 8812AU Wireless LAN 802.11ac USB NIC.
Totally forgot the actual name of my ethernet port integrated with my motherboard dang. I really don't want to spend more money on my system
i am in the process of building another system. And trying hard to save money. Really hope i can buy a Windows 10 certified Wifi USB dongle
that actually supports windows 10 either 32bit or 64bit. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 19 January 2017 - 06:14 AM

Hello Synapse

There has been a lot of problems with Windows10 and networking.

If you could do the following we will be able to see if your computer is affected by this issue.

Hold down the Windows flag key and press R
A new box that says "Run" at the top opens up.

Type this text in the box: winver
And press enter key to run the command

It will open a new window saying "About Windows". The information needed is the Version number and the Build number.

If the Build number is 14393.479 you are probably affected.
Previous or later numbers should not be

The solution for the 479 network problem is:

Hold down the Windows flag key and press X
From the menu that pops up select Command Prompt (Admin)

It is important to select the one with (Admin) in it, or else the commands will fail

If you have UAC enabled a box will pop up asking you if you want to allow the program to make changes to your computer. Answer Yes to this 

A black box appears. In this box you type: netsh winsock reset catalog
Press enter key

When this is done, reboot your pc and it should work.

This would be a good time to search for new updates so that this error will be fixed.

If it doesnt we can take it from there

tfn

#3 rarson

rarson

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 19 January 2017 - 11:57 AM

Type this text in the box: winver
If the Build number is 14393.479 you are probably affected.
Previous or later numbers should not be

I have 3 computers right now with broken network connections after being updated to 576. I am convinced there's another issue with the latest update that once again breaks DHCP on some computers, although this time the fix is far more difficult (I haven't found one yet).

The prior problem often didn't even require resetting winsock, just a reboot.

Given that problems arose both in 7 and 10, I'm wondering if there is other suspect hardware here. Either way, I wouldn't spend any money on another network adapter because it's more likely to be an OS problem than your network hardware.

#4 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2017 - 04:22 PM

Yeah, I have heard some reports that the network error is back and not as easy to fix this time

My win10 is at 14393.693

Perhaps you could download the latest update on another computer and then install it?

Go to this link to get it:
http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB3213986

A while ago you had to use IE to be able to download from the site, but today Opera also worked. 

Give it a go with your favorite browser and see if it works. If not, try IE

HTH!

tfn

#5 rarson

rarson

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 19 January 2017 - 06:47 PM

Yeah, I'm sorry, I misspoke. It was 693. The KB3213986 update.

Even worse, whatever piece of the update is breaking the internet connection seems to be affecting the computer even after the update is rolled back.

#6 Synapse

Synapse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2017 - 07:05 AM

Sorry for the late reply The build is 

Version 1607 (OS Build 14393.576) Downloading the update at the moment on Windows 7 Professional 64 as i have W7 on the other hard drive thank god for that! 
So happy i posted here, knowing this is an only OS issue. Should of known, everytime i start the computer the internet icon logo is never shown, just the notification's

icon on the taskbar bottom far left. Trying this patch out, going to have to restart into Windows 10 Professional 64 and see how it goes... i really hope microsoft fixes this issue soon.
i have a couple of windows 10 based games that i have just gotten into. 

Thanks guys going to see how this does.

#7 Synapse

Synapse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2017 - 06:45 PM

Well guys.... Sadly... that didn't work either :'( Really wish Microsoft fix this problem! i have 1,000s of games and most of them are Windows 10 exclusives! 
And require internet connection to logon really had my hopes held high...

#8 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2017 - 03:15 PM

Just to clarify some things:

You have a dual boot pc. It works when you boot to Windows 7 but not when you boot to Windows 10?

tfn

#9 Synapse

Synapse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:16 PM

Just to clarify some things:

You have a dual boot pc. It works when you boot to Windows 7 but not when you boot to Windows 10?

tfn

Yes that's exactly right, i usually hit F8 when i restart my computer, so i can choose 1 of the 2 drives i have. I had an older build of windows 7 professional 64, on the other drive.
but my main drive i have Windows 10 Professional 64, it was actually a free Windows 10 upgrade a few July's ago. I think it's weird beause i look at my settings on Windows 7 

and everything is listed when i look at the dialog box, where it shows every thing dang forgot the actual name of the dialog window, but it states the settings connected on windows 7

but when i go on Windows 10, the ethernet onboard modem shows no settings.. And i am really thinking about reinstalling windows 10 but i fear i may have done that for nothing... 
Very frustrating, i really wish the USB wifi drive i have plugged in now, supported windows 10, i am surfing wirelessly on here, but when i install it on windows 10, i plug it in and the device doesn't light up or blink.
Atleast i didn't really waste money on it, if i look at it because my room is very small and everything is stretched out cable wise. Again if i dont have it listed already i am using a Wavlink AC1200

At the moment not sure if i ever mentioned what type of device i am using.

Edited by Synapse, 23 January 2017 - 02:16 PM.

#10 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:38 PM

There are 2 things I can think of

1. if you are using a usb3 port and the driver for this port hasnt been installed in windows 10

2. if the picture in the link to amazon you posted is correct the model number is Wavlink WL-WN688A2
you can find a driver released 5th of january 2017 in this link:
http://www.wavlink.com/en/support/49.html

Regarding number 1
If you look inside the plug on the Wavlink you will see the plastic is blue.

Is the plastic in the port on the computer you connect it to blue or black?

tfn

#11 Synapse

Synapse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2017 - 08:12 AM

Actuallly It's Black the unit is that is, here is the thing, i think this system that i built a while back only has 2.0 or 2.1 USB i know it stated for 3.0 but knowing its backwards compatible.

the image that i linked is the one i got on amazon, its a realtek something i should of wrote the model and make down... i have no clue where you found the driver from, i searched high and low and couldnt 

find anything but a few drivers that didn't work and still really didnt detect the device... but i will try the drivers and we can only hope and pray that it works and hopefully no one else would have to deal with this.. 

#12 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2017 - 03:20 PM

It might not be a good idea to try the driver unless it is the correct one ;)

Could you see if there are any model numbers on it?

Or perhaps you could copy the hardware id from device manager. That would make finding it easier.

Hold down Windows key and press X, choose device manager
Find the usb stick under network cards, right click it and choose properties
Go to the details tab, in the dropdown box select hardware ids.
Copy and paste the text there over here

This link will show you how to do it if you are uncertain
http://www.wikihow.com/Find-Hardware-ID

tfn

Edited by toofarnorth, 24 January 2017 - 03:21 PM.

#13 Synapse

Synapse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2017 - 05:28 PM

sorry for hte late reply, i tried it out the good news is that, i got the driver working and all that, but it still doing the same thing being "Limited" or unable to connect 

like some errror popup sometime, i would try to see if i could repair windows 10 but i have the upgrade version from windows 7 pro so i dont know how that would wokrout. 

#14 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 10:52 AM

Microsoft stores the license online so you can reinstall the computer even if you followed the upgrade path.

I would take a backup of the computer, then use the Media Creation Toolkit to make a bootable USB stick and reinstall from that

As for the limited connection

Do you have a phone with internet sharing on it, or a neighbor that would let you connect to his wifi for testing purposes?

What happens if you do connect to them?

tfn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users