Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Web Development Comparison / Preferences: WAMP, XAMPP, Zend

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 hostgem

hostgem

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 19 January 2017 - 02:32 AM

Hi all,

I'm developing my skills in web development, and so far have been using XAMPP as a web development environment on my home PC.

I found the below snippet in a web development textbook, which got me to thinking about the experiences that others have had with these tools.

"WAMP, XAMPP, and Zend include full versions of Apache, MySQL, and PHP (generally one version behind the latest), as well as phpMyAdmin, which is used for manual maintenance of a MySQL database. XAMPP, the oldest of the three, has become a bit dated and is the most difficult to use. WAMP is a more basic package, but has all the server and developmental tools you will probably need on your computer. Zend Server also provides all you need and adds extra support for PHP, but I have found it difficult and time consuming to install."

Though I know that there are other web development environments available, I'm curious as to the experiences and views of others on this subject, such as (not exhaustive); the ease of use, experience/knowledge level required, and ability to move PC-based applications to an online environment. 

Thanks   :busy:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gxnpt

gxnpt

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 31 January 2017 - 03:12 PM

I use Xaamp for general development use (run as a service) and UwAmp if I want it to function as a LAN server also (UwAmp can also run off a thumb drive - does not run as a windows service). For Win10 users - the w3svc service uses port 80 and should be stopped in Task Manager for default configurations of Xaamp or UwAmp to run.

Either one works for PHP/MySQL applications development - but UwAmp can act as a LAN server as well as localhost with a program control panel setting to online mode and easily changed back (is why my game is bundled with UwAmp for Windows users LAN use).

So add that one for distribution purposes if not for development purposes (but with UwAmp just unplug thumb drive and all work is removed from the computer itself if security is an issue).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users