Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading motherboard on dell vistro

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Edoge14352

Edoge14352

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2017 - 01:59 AM

Right now I'm trying to upgrade the motherboard, but I'm unsure if another mobo will fit in the case. It's a dell vistro 260, I've already upgraded the PSU to a 600 watt, put in a 970 in it and upgraded the storage to 1 TB. I'm looking to get a newer motherboard and a new cpu. It currently has a i3 2120. Would a newer motherboard fit in it? I also heard that the OS is locked to the motherboard, and I'm fine with buying windows for it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 19 January 2017 - 06:09 AM

I think that Dell model uses Micro-ATX, but I'm not sure given how Dell's site works.  If it is a Micro-ATX board, you'll need another Micro-ATX one, but, if that case only takes standard ATX motherboards and not Micro-ATX, you may find yourself unable to mount the new board.  In Windows, OEM/System Builder copies have their license tied to the motherboard, so if you get a new motherboard, you need a new license.  The exception to this is if you are replacing a broken motherboard and cannot find a similar or exact version of your old motherboard.  A full version of Windows can be moved between motherboards.

3939.png

#3 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 19 January 2017 - 11:42 AM

That Windows is Windows 7 right? Then you probably have unused product key on sticker that is attached somewhere in case.

For legal issues, it depends on where you are living and laws there.

#4 Edoge14352

Edoge14352
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2017 - 11:50 AM

So a micro atx should work in it?

#5 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 19 January 2017 - 04:05 PM

Micro ATX motherboard measurements are 9.6 × 9.6 in (244 × 244 mm). So if it currently have board of that size, then probably yes.

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,885 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2017 - 10:43 PM

According to what I read then yes a Micro ATX will fit.

However since you are already halfway there you could just build your own PC as you will need need RAM and a new CPU anyhow.

If you are willing to mod your PC then why not go one step up and build your own?

What is your budget?

I mean you already have a PSU and everything else so why not plus you may still need another case.

Edited by MadmanRB, 19 January 2017 - 10:48 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#7 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 20 January 2017 - 12:06 PM

If you're ok with a new motherboard and possibly a new copy of windows you have a lot of possibilities. Another one is to update the BIOS of your Intel H61 mobo with the BIOS on this page and then look for a nice used 3570-3770 (or k variant but no reason since H61 *and dell* locks K variant anyway). 3770 can be found for $120.00-150.00 on ebay.

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,885 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2017 - 12:23 PM

If you're ok with a new motherboard and possibly a new copy of windows you have a lot of possibilities. Another one is to update the BIOS of your Intel H61 mobo with the BIOS on this page and then look for a nice used 3570-3770 (or k variant but no reason since H61 *and dell* locks K variant anyway). 3770 can be found for $120.00-150.00 on ebay.

Yeah but if you are going to go K sku then another case will be needed as airflow is no doubt not so good in that dell plus no liquid cooler possibilities nor room for good air coolers.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#9 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 20 January 2017 - 11:38 PM

Wel no reason to go K but if he went with a K can't OC with that motherboard anyway -- so mute point really K or non K would be fine because it would only be running stock clocks. However a K version would be nice if the OP wanted to snag a Z67-Z77 off of ebay -- something like that. Really though an I5 3570 (or k) or I5 3770 (or K) or even a Sandy Bridge 2600-2600k would be a good upgrade. With the bios linked a drop in with any of them.

#10 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,885 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2017 - 11:43 PM

Indeed, its all up to the OP to see where he wants to go.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users