● First task is to back up registry before making any changes.
● So I went to File > Export > saved as C:\Users\user\Documents\REGBackupFile\RegBackupFull.reg.
●Then just to see if it works I tried importing, or merging, the file back into registry. Note- I did not change anything in the registry.
● I received the following error.
● Cannot import C:\Users\user\Documents\REGBackupFile\RegBackupFull.reg: Not all data was successfully written to the registry. Some keys are open by the system or other processes, or you have insufficient privileges to perform this operation.
● So I tried closing all open windows and programs on the desktop and also opened regedit.exe with administrator privileges.
● Same problem.
● I tried to import directly from folder by selecting merge from right click menu.
● Same error.
● Tried to import from Registry Editor itself and it loaded almost completely, then right at the end stopped and gave same error message as before.
What's the problem guys? Is it simply because I didn't make any changes to the registry? Or is it because of some key being used. And if it's the later, then how would I fix it if in the future I had made a mistake and needed to restore the registry?
Edited by JD-0021, 19 January 2017 - 12:09 AM.