Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry Editor help please > import saved registry not working > key is being u

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 JD-0021

JD-0021

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:06 AM

I am learning how to use registry editor with A+ book course. Having issue with importing reg keys. SO HERE'S THE STEPS I TOOK BELOW. TY
● First task is to back up registry before making any changes.
● So I went to File > Export > saved as C:\Users\user\Documents\REGBackupFile\RegBackupFull.reg.
●Then just to see if it works I tried importing, or merging, the file back into registry. Note- I did not change anything in the registry.
● I received the following error.
● Cannot import C:\Users\user\Documents\REGBackupFile\RegBackupFull.reg: Not all data was successfully written to the registry. Some keys are open by the system or other processes, or you have insufficient privileges to perform this operation.
● So I tried closing all open windows and programs on the desktop and also opened regedit.exe with administrator privileges.
● Same problem.
● I tried to import directly from folder by selecting merge from right click menu.
● Same error.
● Tried to import from Registry Editor itself and it loaded almost completely, then right at the end stopped and gave same error message as before.

What's the problem guys? Is it simply because I didn't make any changes to the registry? Or is it because of some key being used. And if it's the later, then how would I fix it if in the future I had made a mistake and needed to restore the registry?

Edited by JD-0021, 19 January 2017 - 12:09 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:24 AM

Try in safe mode.

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:28 AM

Yeah, much of the registry relates to the running system with a full export, so naturally you can't change it whilst it's running. The manual way to do it is via the command prompt in the recovery options dialogue or from another running system with access to the HDD. Even then you don't use regedit... it becomes more complicated.

Try just exporting and importing a smaller section of the registry, perhaps from the HKCU branch.

#4 JD-0021

JD-0021
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:30 AM

Ok,great, thank you will try.

#5 JD-0021

JD-0021
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:34 AM

That worked with one registry key. So maybe it just doesn't like when I do the whole thing. Thank you guys for your support.

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:37 AM

So maybe it just doesn't like when I do the whole thing.

That's it exactly :) System restore can do this for you, should you need to do it.

You're welcome.

#7 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:41 AM

I remember i use to do that kind of thing in win98 and i never use to have problems doing it with that version of windows.

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:44 AM

If you still have one running, try it... let us know

I have a 2000 going here but it's running an archaic device, would hate to mess up it's mojo.

#9 JD-0021

JD-0021
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:46 AM

Ahh, yeah well thank you again. I spent hours trying to figure it out. It's so fun though.
Yeah it worked in safe mode. Pretty cool

#10 JD-0021

JD-0021
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:48 AM

It's incredibly learning all the details of these things. Allot went into them. Amazing

#11 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:49 AM

Ahh, yeah well thank you again. I spent hours trying to figure it out. It's so fun though.
Yeah it worked in safe mode. Pretty cool

Doesn't work for me on win7 with a full export in safe mode...

Edited by TsVk!, 19 January 2017 - 12:58 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users