Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Answer geared to dummies - phone line splitter? (magic jack)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jally

jally

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 18 January 2017 - 07:45 PM

Hi, all - please see relevant pic. attached.

Is there anywhere I can get a knowledgeable answer geared to dummies on this issue? Because I'm not even sure that phone-wiring guys or electricians are so familiar with this, or are they??

For these past days/weeks I don't have phone service except in computer room. I know nothing about phone splitters, DSL-splitters or Cable splitters. So  I've been endlessly browsing diagrams of same, but for the life of me cannot understand electronics. I'm just not a natural at tech.

To the point:

When I had DSL service (with MagicJack Plus-device) - I was able to get phone service on all phone lines in my house, with use of a Splitter. It was fairly livable with. Granted, people didn't always get thru, such as when they were using cellphones to call me. And when phoning businesses, I'd need to press prolongedly to reach options on phone menu's. And they didn't always work. And sometimes people wouldn't hear me or vice versa.

.....I used to think that was due to the old copper-wire thru which DSL & POTS runs. But now i'm thinking it may have had to do with my wimpy unprofessional 1950s phone wiring that's based down in the basement, where there are stretches of skinny wires that are a far cry from CAT. At parts where they're joined, there's bare-copper with frayed edges.

Now I've switched to Cable (with MagicJack GO-device). And the only way I'm able to receive calls, is only via the phone in computer-room and only with the Splitter removed from its receptable.

So I'm wondering - could that be happening because the higher frequency signals running from Cable and MJ-GO are too much for the pitiful phone wiring to handle, down in basement? Whereas the wimpy wiring was able to handle DSL? Or rather, might the culprit be the splitter or jacks you see in my pic. to the left of the surge-protector?

But my MAIN question is - if that's the case - what is the fix? So that I can have phone in my other rooms as well? Note I do NOT want wireless ONLY wired.

Attached Files

Edited by jally, 18 January 2017 - 07:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:04 PM

I think it's your phones that are the problem.

I have cable...with TV, Internet and phone coming in on the line.  I have 2 receptables, one of which goes to my cable modem.  Let's call that Cable 1.

Cable 1's cable modem...also brings in my telephone connection.  I have 2 cordless phones which are part of a set and I connect the set connection to my cable modem.  Without that connection...and without being part of a cordless set...the phone in my bedroom would not work.

A splitter is the wrong move for the phones.  Just buy a set of wireless phones and you will be able to use them in as many rooms as you like...because the main connection to the modem serves as the primary signal for all phones on the same wireless network.

Examples

No phone lines to consider, as long as your cable modem is working properly...your phones will work.  When the cable modem is out (for whatever reason) you also lose phone, Internet, and TV :).

I don't know anything about Magic Jack devices...but I don't know why you would need one with cable.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 18 January 2017 - 09:07 PM.

#3 jally

jally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2017 - 03:16 AM

Because I'm Wired, as mentioned above my pic. I prefer avoiding EMFs. I only have Cable internet svc, not phone svc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users