Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Encrypting USB Drive - basic problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 psh741

psh741

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 18 January 2017 - 07:33 PM

I am thinking is this for real!!! I am having a basic problem with this. OK, I can use SanDisk SecureAccess and encrypt some documents however I can also delete the entire encrypted application on my usb drive. It's not only with that but I've also been testing some other software that does the same thing. Unless of course I've missed something in the settings.

I tried USB Flash Security which messed up one of my drives when I tried to format it and now I can't find the hidden partition (it doesn't matter because it's only a 1GB free test drive). Also some of the others like Rohos Mini Drive have limited total size restrictions which I can deal with just not with being able to delete the entire installed app!

I'm looking for some good free usb encryption software where I can at least password protect the drive and not just go into the usb and be able to delete the application itself! Preferably something simple if possible where the application itself can only be deleted with a password!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 674 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 19 January 2017 - 07:50 PM

You need an Ironkey

#3 psh741

psh741
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2017 - 02:53 AM

OK that is one option. I need to look into this first. I am now living in a part of the world where it is not always easy to find non standard hardware items through retail and there are customs restrictions to deliveries by Amazon.

On a more basic level is there anything I can do individually to:

1. Prevent files being accidentally deleted. I tried the 'Deny Security Permission' option on this link: http://www.technorms.com/27407/prevent-files-from-being-deleted-windows but it somehow didn't work on a test flash drive formatted to NTFS. The Prevent v.1.0 application would have probably been too excessive, unless it can be designed to run on a usb drive only and not the whole OS, which I think isn't possible.

2. Password protect pdfs, files or other documents.

3. Ask for a password before formatting.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,592 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2017 - 04:48 PM

I tried USB Flash Security which messed up one of my drives when I tried to format it and now I can't find the hidden partition (it doesn't matter because it's only a 1GB free test drive).

Attach the 1GB flasj drive. Open an elevated command prompt. On Windows 7 type CMD in the search box and Right Click > Run as Administrator. Type the following commands if you do not need data on the flash drive.

diskpart

list disk

select disk X      Where X is the number associated with the flash drive. It's very important you select the correct number.

clean all             This will zero out the flash drive, This is why you need to have the correct disk selected in the previous command.

create partition primary

select part 1

format fs=ntfs label=USBflash quick      Substitute fat32 for ntfs if you want the file system to be fat32

exit

exit

I don't think #3 is possible on a normal USB flash drive. You could take it to any computer and zero out the drive using a live linux disk if you found a way to prevent Windows from formatting the flash drive. 

You can look at Veracrypt to encrypt a USB and have a password to mount the drive but Veracrypt need to be installed on the computer.

http://www.esecurityplanet.com/open-source-security/how-to-encrypt-flash-drive-using-veracrypt.html

Edited by JohnC_21, 20 January 2017 - 04:48 PM.

#5 psh741

psh741
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2017 - 06:56 PM

Thanks a lot for the useful feedback. I am starting to experiment with VeraCrypt and will see where this all goes.

#6 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,179 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:05 AM

Same with BitLocker. If you have a computer with BitLocker enabled, you can encrypt external drives as well. As for #3, that's not possible. Doesn't matter if the drive is set up for Windows, Mac OS or Linux and is encrypted -- anyone can reformat it. Of course, this pretty much erases all the data.

In any event, once a drive is encrypted, you wouldn't want to repartition it as you would likely make the drive unreadable. You would need to unencrypt the drive, then repartition it, then re-encrypt, which is more trouble than it's worth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users