Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

kodi streaming hotel

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 outrageous

outrageous

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 18 January 2017 - 07:29 PM

ok so hello people

i am currently building a linux machine and install kodi on it 

my goal is to stream a movie library and such to every room of the hotel (20rooms) via LAN each room has a rasberry PI 3 in it so it can connect with the server

lets for example say that 10 customers and watching 10 different movies at the same time

how much do you think is this gonna affect the LAN network i mean its purely 1000mb/s no internet connection 
am i gonna have any laggs or such????
am i gonna need a good linux machine??

every opinion is apreciated 

Thank you all 

Edited by outrageous, 18 January 2017 - 07:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 18 January 2017 - 08:30 PM

I think the bottleneck will be the Kodi server. Much of it will depend on your resolution and bit rate, but 1000Mbps should be enough for anything network wise, but having to transcode those 10 streams at once seems a bit much. Note; I have never used Kodi, but have experience with other platforms. See here for discussion on Kodi hardware specs.

#3 outrageous

outrageous
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 19 January 2017 - 03:37 AM

do i need a linux server or for example a linux ubuntu?

spec: intel core i7 5th generation - 16gb ram - (does the gpu matters?) of course SSD etc.

do you think thats enough 

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 19 January 2017 - 10:34 AM

I have no idea. Most of my experience is with 2-3 sim. streams in the private sector. Much of it will come down to the Kodi server, what it uses to transcode, what it transcodes to, bit rate, etc. Even if I knew those statistics, I don't know of any clear graph that says how much CPU/GPU you need for every stream. Your equipiment sounds top notch, but the software itself may be a limiting factor. The only way to find out is to try it out, stress the system, and see much it can handle. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users