Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalling OEM Win Xp Last install wouldn't allow me to get online

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 marslaura

marslaura

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 06:52 PM

I managed to screw up the reinstall of my os using the disks which came with my computer.  Wishing to just start over with doing another reinstall using the disks I want to avoid the issues I had last time. I have made a bootable ISO of the service pack 3 (disks are sp2). I also downloaded the offline installer for a web browser that did finally work but do not understand why i was able to use chrome prior to my reinstalling the os and not able to get online after except with IE8 and then to very few sites.... My audio also quit working upon the reinstall and I suspect that is something to do with the drivers.

I went ahead and following advice on a different forum post downloaded the Belarc Advisor and the results can be found below.

What else do i need to do in preparation for the reinstall to avoid the issues I am still dealing with?

Computer Name: chris-c2bb56571 (in MSHOME) Profile Date: Wednesday, January 18, 2017 3:37:45 PM Advisor Version: 8.5c Windows Logon: Chris
Operating System Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
Install Language: English (United States)
System Locale: English (United States)
Installed: 11/7/2016 3:42:39 AM
Boot Mode: BIOS (Secure Boot not supported)
System Model Gateway T3302 
System Serial Number: CK85A D00 16150
Enclosure Type: Desktop
Processor a 2.00 gigahertz AMD Sempron 3300+
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
128 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Not hyper-threaded
Main Circuit Board b Board: First International Computer, Inc. K8M-800M PCB 2.x
Serial Number: C235A33043
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 07/26/2005
Drives 160.03 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
149.13 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

_NEC DVD_RW ND-2500A [Optical drive]
HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4482B [Optical drive]

Generic USB CF Reader USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 2
Generic USB MS Reader USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 4
Generic USB SD Reader USB Device [Hard drive] (2.00 GB) -- drive 1
Generic USB SM Reader USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 3
WDC WD1600BB-00GUC0 [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WCAL97030928, rev 08.02D08, SMART Status: Healthy
Memory Modules c,d 704 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'A0' has 512 MB
Slot 'A1' has 256 MB Local Drive Volumes           c: (NTFS on drive 0) 155.75 GB 149.12 GB free     d: (NTFS on drive 0) * 4.28 GB 8 MB free    
* Operating System is installed on d:
Network Drives None detected
Users (mouse over user name for details) local user accounts last logon  Chris 1/14/2017 5:55:27 PM (admin) local system accounts  Administrator never (admin)  Guest never    HelpAssistant never    SUPPORT_388945a0 never  
 Marks a disabled account;  Marks a locked account
Printers HP Deskjet F300 series on USB001
Controllers Primary IDE Channel [Controller] (2x)
Secondary IDE Channel [Controller] (2x)
Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
VIA Bus Master IDE Controller
Display None detected
Bus Adapters VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller (4x)
VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller
Multimedia None detected
Virus Protection [Back to Top] No details available
Group Policies None detected
Communications       ↑ Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC primary Auto IP Address: 192.168.1.127 / 24   Gateway: 192.168.1.1   Dhcp Server: 192.168.1.1   Physical Address: 00:40:CA:AA:9F:93   Networking Dns Server: 192.168.1.1
Other Devices HID-compliant consumer control device
HID-compliant device
USB Human Interface Device (3x)
HID Keyboard Device
HID-compliant mouse
USB Composite Device
USB Mass Storage Device
USB Root Hub (5x)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 marslaura

marslaura
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 06:55 PM

I also in my attempt to fix whatever i managed to screw up installed the OS on both my C and D drives. I assume doing the factory reset will correct this and properly allocate the space between the two drives. if not how should i proceed with correcting this first

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 18 January 2017 - 07:15 PM

From your Belarc post it looks like you only have one hard drive. It must have two partitions. When reinstalling XP delete all partitions and then continue with the install. 

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-clean-install-windows-xp-2624911

After you have installed XP SP3 download MiniToolBox and check the box next to List Devices and click the Only Problems button. Post the log. 

You also need to install IE8 and the latest Update Agent before you will get a list of Security Updates.

I assume you slipstreamed your XP SP2 install.

Edit: Here is the driver for your Ethernet. This will get you online after install

WinXP 32/64 and Win2K Auto installation Program (SID:1492533)
5.719 2012/7/19 5038k

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 January 2017 - 07:20 PM.

#4 marslaura

marslaura
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 08:43 PM

WOW thank you! no i didn't slipstream and only have first heard that term today earlier researching the what and hows of doing this correctly.

I have the OEm disks that came with the unit and this was the one i was using the last go around and intended to use this time.

#5 marslaura

marslaura
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 08:50 PM

I tried the ethernet link and i was getting the error below. HOWEVER I DID DOWNLOAD WHAT I THINK WAS THE CORRECT DRIVER from Realtek.  This is a link to the one I downloaded from selecting the appropriate one for xp from the list https://goo.gl/ra0sj6

This site can’t be reached

http’s server DNS address could not be found.

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,297 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 08:56 PM

Your saying you could not download the Realtek driver? I was able to reach the site without a problem. I can upload the driver to Dropbox and give you a link if you like.

I don't think you can slipstream SP3 into your SP2 disks as these are gateway recovery disks. You may want to see this post by a BC member on getting a XP SP3 iso file to burn on CD. If you decide to use the iso only use the first link.

#7 marslaura

marslaura
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2017 - 06:51 PM

I will do that, for the sp3 iso. I assume the iso only is the best way to go, but again quite ignorant to the particulars. I believe the error message for the realtek driver is originating in my browser as i have been unable to use any of the mainstream browsers however have had mixed results working with this one I am currently on called Flashpeak Slimjet as well as another called Sea Monkey. both have been necessary as what one browser will not open the other has so far up until the driver link that is! I now have this forum opened up on a different computer that i am using Torch as the browser and the link isnt working their either. I will however finally be ready to begin my clean install after reading the linked info on how to do it and with the page open on the other pc will be following along. Fingers crossed that i did download the right driver though as shown in the link i posted above. if so hope to be back online on this pc thanking you for the relief of what has become a major source of aggravation due to my own limited abilities

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,297 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2017 - 07:09 PM

According the BC member the XP SP3 iso link is a full install with all SATA drivers included. Whatever the case, I would avoid all banking and internet purchases on a XP computer. It has security holes big enough you can drive a truck through and they are no longer patched by Microsoft. 

From your specs you could install a much more secure OS like linux but it would need to be a lighter version as you are only running with 700MB of RAM.

Mint Xfce 17.1 for an older computer would be a good start.If you have any additional questions on linux you can post them in the Linux Forum. 

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/mint-xfce

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users