Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Odd popup at startup or switching users ("invalid number of parameters")

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 scblair

scblair

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 18 January 2017 - 06:43 PM

I'm running Windows 10 x64. For the past month or so I've had a weird popup whenever Windows starts or I switch users. Initially a window opens that asks what type of program do I want to use to open a particular file..no name or file type given. When I choose notepad or Word I get a file saying the following: 

Invalid number of parameters
ERROR: Invalid syntax. Default option is not allowed more than '2' time(s).
Type "SETX /?" for usage.

I can't find a particular startup item in msconfig that would be running. Any hints?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 19 January 2017 - 01:31 AM

First make sure your machine is set up to show file extentions. See here for how to do that.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-show-file-extensions-in-windows/

Then have a read here scblair, in particular the bit about 'Choose default apps by file type'

http://www.howtogeek.com/223144/how-to-set-your-default-apps-in-windows-10/

#3 johnwayne4d

johnwayne4d

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 20 November 2017 - 08:07 PM

if your windows computer starts booting/loading with a "open file with" dialog

its seems that a chrome or some other failed google update damaged the user profiles on my windows 7 machine. I came home to a computer saying no boot disc, powered off and back on. was able to log in to my primary user profile, upon login was presented with an "open this file in" dialog. i chose notepad and saved it as a txt file, which i pasted the content below. not sure what the file type originally was. tried a system restore, and after, tried to run a scheduled chkdsk on the c: drive and got the error prior to boot that it could not run due to a recent installation, continued to boot/login. chrome would not open, so uninstalled and reinstalled chrome. updated SEP antivirus due to system restore. rebooted to run chkdsk, chkdsk ran. machine then booted to a temp profile. Reboots and logouts returned to temp profile. i used the temp profile to regedit the user profile of .bak back to how it should have been, and edited the temp profile to end in "_new". rebooted and my secondary user profile was missing from login screen. hitting switch user then required the secondary account be manually entered. logged in to primary account, still getting the "John" file with the "open file with" dialog at login. regedit to delete the temp profile i had renamed to end in "_new". rebooted and login screen showed both profiles, logged in to primary user acct, still got "John" file with "open file with". ran microsoft autoruns and found that GOOGLE UPDATE file could not be found, was listed in autoruns as C:\Users\John , this was incorrect as the user profile is C:\Users\John Wayne , it was a space in it for the first and last name. ran msconfig to remove the GOOGLE UPDATE startup item which did happen to show the correct file destination. rebooted and user accts, login screen all act normally and i no longer get the "John" file with the "open file with" dialog at first login. It would seem that the google updater failed to handle the user account containing a space in the name, and rendered my primary user account unusable.

See google search for destination of user profiles in regedit, and proper regedit use.

Content of saved John.txt file:

Hope you don’t have this issue, hope this fix helps if you do encounter it.

i did make an effort to report this to google.

John Wayne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users