Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to remove industrial strength stupidity.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Alchemist

Alchemist

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 18 January 2017 - 05:20 PM

Inevitably when setting up a new computer, you want to try different things and see what produces the best performance. I made the mistake of trying to install Intel's AHCI drivers on my (relatively) new machine with Windows 7 Pro to see if they would be better than the (decade old) MS defaults. Unfortunately, the driver installer wants exactly version 4.5 of the .NET framework and no other. I have 4.6 installed. The Intel installer barfs and puts a notice of "incompatibility" on the screen every time I reboot the machine, but does NOT do anything rational, like remove itself. No, big corporations don't have to correct mistakes. You do. MS however, also has its unbending standards and will not allow the .NET 4.5 installer to work on a machine that already has .NET 4.6 installed. Am I going to have to UNinstall .NET 4.6 so I can install 4.5 so this installer can finish? Damn straight it's gonna be instant uninstall when it's done and I can do so. But I have to get there first. Until this driver can actually finish installing there is no way to uninstall it. It just barfs every time the machine reboots and then waits for the next reboot. How do I get this industrial strength stupidity out of my computer?

Edited by Alchemist, 18 January 2017 - 05:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 05:25 PM

Does tapping F8 at boot and selecting Use Last Known Configuration work?

#3 Alchemist

Alchemist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 05:31 PM

It's very difficult to get the F8 menu to appear on this computer. It usually just whirls right along no matter how many times you press the F8 key. I think I'd have to resort to the MSconfig panel to force it to reboot in safe mode or something. Isn't there some way to remove a program that is setup to install on reboot? You would think there would be a utility that can find failed installers and remove them. It can't be a unique problem.

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 18 January 2017 - 06:00 PM

I haven't really thought this through properly, but try booting into safe mode and see if you can uninstall from there. Hopefully the installer will not be activated in safe mode. If that doesn't help, you might investigate a Linux-based boot disk that will enable you to access your Windows, and possibly you can delete the problem startup files from there. If F8 doesn't work, try the different F-keys; depending on the BIOS manufacture and age, sometimes another key will also give you the option. F8 is standard on my computer, but my "emergency go-to" key is F-11which gives me a large list of options, including safe mode. Worth a try.

Edited by ranchhand_, 18 January 2017 - 06:04 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 Alchemist

Alchemist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 06:02 PM

I need to know where they are to delete them.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 06:03 PM

I am not sure how you would recover from a mass storage driver unless you can get to Safe Mode. 

Did you actually install the intel AHCI driver?

#7 Alchemist

Alchemist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 07:20 PM

Please read the original post again. I did not say that the machine is unusable. I want to remove a broken installer that pops up every time I reboot.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 07:29 PM

Okay, sorry, I though the computer was in some kind of boot look due to the intel AHCI driver. 

You should be able to do a System Restore from within Windows to date before the install. If you added any files to the desktop move them to My Documents before doing the System Restore.

#9 Alchemist

Alchemist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 08:24 PM

OK, I give up. I have used system restore to get rid of a stupid installer. Weirdly, I had a restore point dated yesterday labeled as a "critical update". But when I checked my update history, it had no such update listed. So once again MS is tinkering with my computer behind my back. I suppose the "critical update" will be reinstalled soon. But at least it allowed me to remove Intel's broken installer with minimal other losses. Life is not fun in the margins between huge corporations.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 08:51 PM

You can check for updates. The critical update will get reinstalled. I gave up trying to figure out Windows 7 updates and download Security Only updates on the Windows Update Catalog each month. Since October Microsoft went to a different update model on WU. It is a cumulative update that will eventually include all important updates since SP1 including all the telemetry updates.

#11 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 21 January 2017 - 02:07 AM

I know this is a fairly old post but this Intel Rapid Storage driver gave me some issues relative to yours: On more than one machine.

If I waited a bit, IRST driver would show as loaded and active (by checking the notification area - bottom-right of desktop). There would be depicted a little drive with a green check-mark atop it. Also verified through Device Manager and checking running services via various programs. I finally just opened the user-interface and disable notifications... because there would be that "incompatible" error pop-up on each boot.

Not saying that IRST is loading on your machine; rather that verifying this couldn't hurt.

Edit: Loved the title of the thread and had to troll it. :)

Edited by bludgard, 21 January 2017 - 02:09 AM.

#12 Alchemist

Alchemist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2017 - 05:56 PM

I know this is a fairly old post but this Intel Rapid Storage driver gave me some issues relative to yours: On more than one machine.

If I waited a bit, IRST driver would show as loaded and active (by checking the notification area - bottom-right of desktop). There would be depicted a little drive with a green check-mark atop it. Also verified through Device Manager and checking running services via various programs. I finally just opened the user-interface and disable notifications... because there would be that "incompatible" error pop-up on each boot.

Not saying that IRST is loading on your machine; rather that verifying this couldn't hurt.

Edit: Loved the title of the thread and had to troll it. :)

Yeah, it seems like only a corporation could do something so stupid as issue an installer that could neither install nor abort when it could not install. So, "industrial strength stupidity" seemed the proper description. :-/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users