Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is Adobe up to, with "Dynamic Document Cloud Product Tracks"?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Precautious

Precautious

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 18 January 2017 - 04:30 PM

On my System 7 64 bit PC, I have the Adobe Acrobat XI Pro ver. 11.0.18 standalone program installed.

Today I got an alert from Adobe that an update has been downloaded and ready to install.

But when I clicked the "Details" link to read more about this 'update' on Adobe's "release notes" page at:

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/release-note/release-notes-acrobat-reader.html

...I found that they are now talking about something called "Acrobat DC and Acrobat Reader DC Continuous Track releases".

So I clicked on the link that said, "For information on how to choose the right track for your needs, visit here."

...which brought up a page of baffling jargon that sounds like this might 'update' my standalone version of Acrobat Pro into something that uses "Dynamic Document Cloud Product Tracks", transforming it more or less into a cloud--enabled, cloud-linked, cloud-managed program installation.

I don't intend to sound overly paranoid and crabby, but, really, all I want is the latest security updates and bug fixes for my standalone-licensed Acrobat XI Pro program. I don't particularly want to infest my application with new, unwanted Cloud features. 

I am very concerned about the push on so many sides, these days,  to drive users to the cloud (i.e., somebody else's computer) for everything - including program launching, document storage and file backup!  What are people thinking?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 30 January 2017 - 05:04 AM

I like to say that I understand their "help" documents, but frankly there were about as clear as mud.

So, that leaves me with the less than desirable suggestion of calling or chatting with Adobe and asking them. And I don't do that lightly as their chat system SUCKS big time. When I had the simple task of just changing the email address for my Adobe account (the supposedly simple process was not working for me...kept getting an error message), it took me about 2 to 3 hours, which included two different "hang ups" on by their chat system and 30+ minutes waiting for a chat representative for each chat session. I am not sure if the phone option would be better or not.

About the only thing that I could get out it was that it seems like your license type will dictate which "track" you can pick, but even that is not clear to me. Frankly, I tend to have a better understanding of reading laws passed by Congress (which is always written in "lawyer speak" that seems designed to confuse even though it is supposed to be clearer to understand).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users