Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Virus Protection Should I Use?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 FiveTreeForest

FiveTreeForest

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 30 August 2006 - 12:35 PM

My school provided me with Macafee Enterprise (the corporate edition) which I was told is not suggested for home use. I am assuming they were just covering their own asses while I was on the schools network in the dorms. I am moving off campus and was wondering which virus software would be best to run on my computer.

Also, has my computer been protected while I've been at home? I am worried that since the virus software has no server to communicate with I have not been recieving proper updates nor has it been able to pick anything up. Any help, suggestions, etc. would be awesome. If there is anything I can run as a trial version for now it would be great, as my funds are limited at the moment.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 30 August 2006 - 07:26 PM

Many members (of whom I am one) here use AVG Free Edition, although there are several other good free AVs available. In addition to any AVG, you should have a resident Firewall and several anti-spyware applications on your hard drive.
Links to member-recommended freeware can be found here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

I would suggest you proceed on the premiss that your computer has NOT been protected during the summer, and spend some quality time downloading, installing, updating, and running your anti-malware applications.
What? You want to leave the dorms? "Flush twice, it's a long way to the cafeteria."
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 FiveTreeForest

FiveTreeForest
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2006 - 10:47 PM

So what I take from your post is that during intersessions my computer has indeed been susceptible to viruses... has it been protected at all? This is truly frustrating because I heard nothing of this until a week ago. You would figure a college, or a program as reputible as Macafee would give some sort of warning as to when my computer is not protected.

Should I completely uninstall Macafee then?

I installed AVG Free and while scanning Spy Sweeper is saying that it is trying to make changes to my host file.... should I allow or block these changes?

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 30 August 2006 - 11:04 PM

You should only have one AV running real time protection.
I advise you uninstall/disable Macafee, before enabling AVG.

Allow the changes AVG wants to make.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 FiveTreeForest

FiveTreeForest
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2006 - 11:15 PM

How do I know if I have enabled AVG realtime protection? I have already disabled Macafee's though..

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 31 August 2006 - 12:04 AM

It should have been enabled when you installed it.

The first thing you should do is right click the AVG icon in the Taskbar, by the clock, and select Launch AVG Control Center.
At the top, on the Toolbar, click Information and select Help Topics.
Read the Help file.
It will explain how to set up, and run AVG.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users