Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adding Windows 7 to new computer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rusnakes

Rusnakes

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 18 January 2017 - 01:02 PM

Howdy everyone,

I recently had my laptop destroyed by water, so I purchased a new laptop and off I went! 

Problem was, it came with Windows 10, which is constantly sending data to MS and eating up our limited bandwidth over DSL. So, I decided to switch to Linux and dump Windows 10 since it was useless for what I needed.

Problem is, Linux does not mesh well with the things I need to do. Libre Office is buggy and can't deal with the massive spreadsheets I create, and ends up crashing (taking everything open with it connected to Libre Office...not cool b/c it can't recover some of it, forcing me to hand save constantly). It also has some basic issues with functionality that get in the way of productivity for me. I like it, but I need something closer to what is native to me (and requires a lot less detective work to get it to function at a basic level).

So, I thought about purchasing a new Windows 7 OS to install onto my computer. I know computer businesses are still loading Win 7 on computers...there are new computer for sale on Amazon with Win 7, for instance.

I started looking around and it doesn't look like I can purchase a usable (i.e., new, OEM, etc.) copy of Win 7 anymore. I'd even settle for Win 8.1, but Win 10 is just not an option.

Any thoughts on this situation? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,264 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 01:20 PM

Amazon has Win 7 versions available.

Examples

Louis

#3 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 18 January 2017 - 02:53 PM

Hi:

In addition to licensing, there are now hardware considerations.

Short version:  Windows 10 is the only supported Windows OS version for some newer hardware.

See here - these articles are from January 2016, but AFAIK, this remains the case (internet search will turn up additional articles about this):

Why Windows 7 Won’t Work On Intel’s Current & Next Gen CPUs

Latest Microsoft PR fail: New PCs don’t support Windows 7, nor 8.1 [smh]

So, before you shell out for a Win7 license (caveat emptor), you might want to do a bit of checking on the hardware side, to be sure you can run Win7 on that particular system?

Just a thought,

MM

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 18 January 2017 - 05:13 PM

Problem was, it came with Windows 10, which is constantly sending data to MS and eating up our limited bandwidth over DSL.

Are you sure you're not just causing yourself a lot of unnecessary bother?

Control Windows 10 telemetry:

https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

Set your Wi-Fi connection as metered:

http://www.howtogeek.com/226722/how-when-and-why-to-set-a-connection-as-metered-on-windows-10/

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/17452/windows-metered-internet-connections-faq

If your connection is via Ethernet, it's less simple, but still do-able (and a LOT less than changing your OS!):

http://www.windowscentral.com/how-set-ethernet-connection-metered-windows-10
Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 Rusnakes

Rusnakes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 06:13 PM

Thanks, MM, for the thoughts about hardware and compatibility. That is something I hadn't even considered.

Platypus, the newest iterations of Win 10 do not allow for a metered connection to be set. I followed through on this idea before switching to Linux and dumping Win 10 on my machine. I had discussed the situation with a few tech friends and they basically said that was the only work around available for Win 10 sending constant info to their servers (and thus eating up my bandwidth). If you have another idea, I'd be willing to try it. I would actually prefer an older Windows version, but absent that, I need to find some way to have the computer function given our current internet capabilities (we live in a rural area).

Many thanks for your thoughts.

Edited by hamluis, 18 January 2017 - 06:50 PM.
Removed unnecessary quoteboxes - Hamluis.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 18 January 2017 - 06:48 PM

the newest iterations of Win 10 do not allow for a metered connection to be set.

Did you establish that as true on your own copy of Win 10, you could not set a metered connection? The current insider preview due for release early this year is actually adding the facility to directly control metered mode for Ethernet as well! Current article (updated 11 days ago):

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-set-ethernet-connection-as-metered-in-windows-10/

Note: you'll also need to turn off telemetry in Windows 7 to achieve your purpose...

Edited by Platypus, 18 January 2017 - 07:16 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 Rusnakes

Rusnakes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 07:28 PM

As far as I am aware and a tech friend who also messed with the issue, there is no way with my current version to set a metered connection. The option is simply nowhere to be found anymore.

As for Win 7 and 8, we have had no issues for many years with data being sent constantly using those OSs. From what I understand, Cortana is part of the issue, but also automatic updates (which is why so many people set a metered connection in the first place).

Edited by hamluis, 18 January 2017 - 08:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users