Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

going to go back to 7

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 boilermaker27

boilermaker27

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 18 January 2017 - 12:59 PM

I made the foolish move of taking advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10 and have been sorry ever since.  Since there is no way to rollback to Windows 7 I will be forced to do a complete system recovery from the partition on my computer.  Hopefully Windows 10 didn't erase it?  I've done a number of recoveries through the years on different versions of Windows and have always lost information.  I know I can do a disc image right now but am wondering if the disc image of Windows 10 will work after I do the recovery, or will it attempt to put me back to Windows 10?  I have an external means of saving information and will save everything that I can think of, but always seem to forget a lot more than I saved.  What is the best way to save the important information and not lose anything?  All I know for sure is that I do not like Windows 10 and the faster it is gone, the happier I will be.

Edited by hamluis, 18 January 2017 - 02:45 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to W10 Discussion - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 18 January 2017 - 01:15 PM

IMO...Step One would be to do a backup of whatever data files you deem useful/valued.

From that point on...everything is trial-and-error, with no guarantee of success.

Louis

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,623 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 01:16 PM

A disk image of Windows 10 will put you back to Windows 10. What is the make and model of the computer? If doing a factory reset back to Windows 7 you will need to reinstall all your programs.

Open Disk Management and look for a partition of about 15 to 20 GB. It could be called Restore or something similar. Do you have a COA sticker on the computer with a legible copy of the key?

#4 boilermaker27

boilermaker27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 01:45 PM

I just read elsewhere that Windows 10 breaks the link to the recovery partition so I cannot go back to Windows 7?  Is this true?  I just hope I am not stuck with 10.  It also said that Windows 10 replaces the Windows 7 partition with Windows 10? 

Edited by boilermaker27, 18 January 2017 - 01:46 PM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,623 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 01:55 PM

What is the make and model of the computer? Is there a legible key on the COA sticker? Windows 10 may break the factory reset partition but no always.

Post a screenshot of Disk Management.

#6 LPTJared

LPTJared

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 18 January 2017 - 04:06 PM

Backup everything that's a must have (i.e pics, videos, etc) to another hdd. Run belarc advisor or equivalent to pull all your license keys. Like others said after you get your data in order it's pretty much hit or miss. You can always do a clean install of 7 if the recovery partition isn't usable. 

#7 dhjohns

dhjohns

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 11 February 2017 - 08:37 PM

All I know for sure is that I do not like Windows 10 and the faster it is gone, the happier I will be.

You can go back to 7 is you wish, but you will not be on it forever.  New hardware is not compatible with 7 in many cases so you are only delaying the inevitable.

#8 DellaVedova

DellaVedova

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 14 February 2017 - 01:01 AM

The first thing you should do is doing backup job manually so that you will not lose any important data,files.

Then, since you said "Windows 10 breaks the link to the recovery partition", so i guess you should use some software to go back to windows7. 

Please do remember to backup everything important.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users