Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk C is damaged?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Snajpi

Snajpi

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 18 January 2017 - 10:57 AM

When I start my pc It instantly loads into the Admin account and I get a black screen for no apparent reason, it worked fine last night.
I turned it on and went to to the kitchen when I came back I got a message saying; Disk Co is damaged would you like to empty the bin? Or something along those lines, I got the SSD about 12 days ago and there was nothing that I can think of that could've caused this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 18 January 2017 - 11:06 AM

System manufacturer and model?

Exact wording of any onscreen error message?

Have you tried booting system today?

Have you tried booting into safe mode?

Louis

#3 Snajpi

Snajpi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 05:41 PM

Windows 10 64 bit, booted it today and it launched into windows but I couldn't do anything but open the file explorer which shown everything in tact, switched Sata cables rebooted and I got a black screen, then I tried to reinstall windows but got a message saying that I don't have a proper boot drive.
I can't seem to be able to boot into safe mode when booting up, I'll try to get exact wording when I get back from school!

Edited by hamluis, 18 January 2017 - 06:56 PM.

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 18 January 2017 - 06:09 PM

I would suggest running a disk check on that SSD; if it has failed better you know before the warranty expires. If you cannot access the Windows check, you can try a 3rd party. Do you have access to a DVD drive to burn a disk?

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 18 January 2017 - 07:55 PM

Indeed it could be a bad disk

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#6 Snajpi

Snajpi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2017 - 06:12 AM

Thing is, that my Windows is on the C, and I cannot do anything but open the file explorer, there is no other computer in my house than the one that is broken...

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,268 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2017 - 09:11 AM

You can run a hard drive diagnostic that does not require Windows to be operable/operating.  There are several.

SeaTools for DOS and Windows - How to Use - Windows 7 Help Forums - http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/313457-seatools-dos-windows-how-use.html SeaTools for DOS Tutorial - http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/201271en SeaTools For Dos, dc3 - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/584975/swap-hd-in-oem-desktop/?p=3780467 SeaTools for DOS, Information, Option Two - http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/313457-seatools-dos-windows-how-use.html#Part3

MHDD - http://hddguru.com/software/2005.10.02-MHDD/

Hard Drive Test Procedures, Zingo156 - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/560617/60-100-cpu-usage/page-3#entry3574963

Louis

#8 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 19 January 2017 - 10:11 AM

If you are in school, you must know a friend that has a computer and can burn a CD or DVD for you. It's free and easy. Here is the tutorial:

Go here and download Seatools For DOS (free)
http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/#

> Accept the EULA and download the ISO file.
> When download is complete burn the ISO to a CD or DVD.
> Disconnect any other hard drives in your computer (not optical drives) leaving only your problem drive connected.
> Make sure your BIOS is set to:   1st Boot Device = CD drive, 2nd Boot Device = Hard Drive.
> Insert the CD in your optical drive and reboot.
> When the program opens, click the upper left corner for the Short Test.
> Note: if you get a pop-up window telling you that SMART has tripped and asking if you want to continue, choose Yes. Be sure to post that in your next reply along with the result of the test.
At the end of the test, you will get either a Pass or Fail notice. Post the result in your next reply.
Be sure to have your hard drive directly installed internally to the motherboard, not in an external case.

The reason is that we can spend lots of time trying things, but if the drive is bad we are wasting time. Another thing to consider is that some of these testing utilities may or may not support SSD (as opposed to standard HDD). I contacted Seagate support and one of the support techs on the phone told me Seatools will test SSDs properly, in fact they use it in the shop for that.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#9 Snajpi

Snajpi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2017 - 06:15 PM

I actually did so a Sea Tools test before this happened (I tried to get some deleted files from my hdd) and I ran a quick test on the ssd and hdd and everything was fine, I'll try to get it tested again though!

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,268 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2017 - 08:19 PM

I think that you have erroneously posted what the onscreen error message said.  The only "bin" I can think of is the Recycle bin...and such message for the Recycle Bin...has no impact on hard drive health and is indicative of file corruption.

Please double-check the error message received, if possible..

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 19 January 2017 - 08:20 PM.

#11 Snajpi

Snajpi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2017 - 10:58 AM

I've reinstalled windows and everything seems to be fine again.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,268 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2017 - 11:50 AM

:thumbup2:, happy computing :).

Louis

#13 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2017 - 06:31 PM

I've reinstalled windows and everything seems to be fine again.

Go to the website of whoever manufactured the drive and use the software that is (usually) provided to make sure the drive is configured correctly (if it is an Intel drive one would grab Intel SSD Toolbox).

#14 Snajpi

Snajpi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2017 - 04:02 PM

Its an Adata SU600, I've formatted it and got all the drivers.

#15 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2017 - 04:49 PM

Has SSD Toolbox (for ADATA SSDs) been installed and run?

Edit: Hold that: Maybe your drive is not supported? I see the SU800 listed....

Edited by bludgard, 21 January 2017 - 04:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users