Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Needing Some Help With A Wee Problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lainyb

lainyb

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 30 August 2006 - 12:27 PM

im encountering problems with my laptop

When I switched it on on Monday I noticed that the time was running about 4 hours behind

I didnt think that much of it at the time so I just corrected the time and thought nothing more of it

That is until 2day when i noticed that the same thing had happened again.

Can anyone offer me any advice on what might be causing this to happen as I havent got a clue as I know very little about computors!!!! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 30 August 2006 - 02:22 PM

Hi lainyb! Please tell me the make and model of your computer and I can try and give you a complete answer. A serial number or a service tag number (if applicable) would be helpful, too.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Stu G

Stu G

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 30 August 2006 - 02:29 PM

Hi

Well Lets see, How old is Your Laptop? and What OS is on it Win 95/98*Grinler or XP.

Possible reasons could include:

Make sure you choose correct Time Zone.

If it is Windows 9x or ME i have found that Screensavers can slow time, Disable all Screensavers to see if this is a cause.

Most common fault with this is a failing BIOS/CMOS battery which may need replaced, try changing the time via the BIOS first.

Possibly BIOS needs updated.

Hope This Helps.
Stu G
Ada95,Java,C ANSI,C++,C♯,ASP.NET,JavaFX!

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 31 August 2006 - 06:14 AM

What Stu G says is correct. The most common reason for this is a low BIOS battery. On most computers this is a silver disc battery found on the motherboard. This makes it difficult to replace in a laptop. So, some laptop manufacturers put this battery in a place that is easier to access. For instance, a common place for it is inside the battery compartment. Remove the laptop battery. Look for any door or cover that may be covering another small battery. Oh, if your laptop has one of these batteries in a convenient location, it is probably not a silver disc type of battery.

Another reason why clocks can run slow is because there is not enough RAM, or the RAM you have is defective. When the computer thinks it is too busy because the RAM is full, it will let some chores slide, such as keeping time. But this is usually the case when you see the clock running slow.

It is possible that you just need to adjust the time in the BIOS also. Look at your computer screen when you boot up the computer for instructions on how to enter the BIOS, or sometimes called 'setup'. Usually this requires pressing the 'del' key or maybe 'F1' or 'F2' at bootup. Then look around for the time and change it to the correct time. If then the next time your computer does not keep good time look at the BIOS again and see if the time is correct in there or not. If not, then that would indicate to me that the BIOS battery is low.

Another idea is simply to contact the laptop manufacturer and get their advice. They have a contact form on line.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users