Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Print Dialog Parameters Greyed Out for Text Files

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kullaroo

kullaroo

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 18 January 2017 - 05:14 AM

I went to help a friend solve some issues with a new CPU after his old one died. All went well expect for printing.

He now has a Windows 10 v1607. When he bought the new CPU home he connected his HP Deskjet 3632 All-in-One and it worked but he had two questions. He printed a 100-page text file (a compilations of old saved emails) and ran out of ink part way through; after replacing the ink cartridge he tried to print the remaining pages but the options to print: Selection, Current Page or Pages (range) were greyed out.

I checked printing other file formats, such as a word processing document, and all printing options were available and worked. It seems that only the printing of text files has this issue of only allowing printing the complete file.

As he also asked how to check his ink levels, I guessed that he had just connected the printer to the new CPU and Windows 10 had found and installed drivers.

Am I right in assuming that he will need to get a Windows 10 version of the HP Software for the printer to get both the ink level monitor and all options for printing pages of text files?

Or is there something else going on with trying to print text files?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:12 AM

Hi:

At least two considerations come to mind:

1) If he let Windows install the drivers, it's probably using a basic driver set.  It would probably be better to obtain the drivers/software directly from the HP Drivers page HERE.

A. Enter the model number and the Operating System and version (32-bit or 64-bit).

B. There are generally two options: the "full" drivers/software package, which contains web printing and other bloatware; and the "basic" drivers.

C. Download and save the package, but do not run it yet.

D. Temporarily power off the printer and disconnect it (USB, ethernet or wifi) from the computer.

E. I have never used Windows drivers for my HP printers, but I think you might have to first "uninstall" the printer and its Windows drivers and reboot, before installing the HP drivers.

F. Run the HP driver/software setup wizard, following the instructions in the order they are given, especially about the step advising when to connect the computer to the printer.

2) All of the major printer manufacturers currently use technology to prevent use of recycled, re-used or non-OEM "ink".  If he tried to use anything other than a new, OEM cartridge, that may also contribute to problems.  Debates about being "forced" to use OEM ink aside, there is much more to printer+ink at a technical level than just the cartridge.  In the long run (or perhaps in the short run), using anything other than a new, fresh, OEM cartridge will turn out to be "penny-wise and pound-foolish".  HP offers a very convenient (2 mouse-click; next day, free shipping), deeply discounted ink purchase program that will keep the printer working correctly for a long time.

Please let us know your results, so that we can all learn.

Thanks,

MM

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:29 AM

In the long run (or perhaps in the short run), using anything other than a new, fresh, OEM cartridge will turn out to be "penny-wise and pound-foolish"

I agree with is to a point, especially if the printer has a separate printer head. I would not use compatible cartridges but I would refill them. In that case selecting the correct ink for re-filling is very important. If the printer head is integrated with the cartridge then I see nothing wrong with purchasing compatible cartridges for basic printing. I have use compatible cartridges on an old lexmark and refilled them with bulk ink at least 4 times each. That saved me a tremendous amount of money. I also purchased compatible cartridges for a cheap canon printer pre-chipped and those can be re-filled but not as many times as the lexmark. 

Personally, I wouldn't touch HP printers with a 10 foot pole. 

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/hardware/hp-accused-of-sabotaging-non-hp-ink-cartridges/

My lexmark is an old Z700 that still runs like a champ. Works on Ubuntu too. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 January 2017 - 09:35 AM.

#4 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:44 AM

Hi:

I have used HP AIO printers for more than 20 years on multiple platforms from Win98 to 10 in a home-office environment, with only favorable experience re: hardware, software, ink, support (rarely needed). (I recently handed down to a friend an HP AIO that is 12 years old and still working perfectly.)

As for bypassing the OEM measures to prevent re-use/refilling or the use of non-OEM ink, if it works, then that's great.

In many cases, it will eventually result in degraded quality of the printed documents and/or trouble with the printer.

For me, it's not worth the time, trouble or risk to save a few shekels.

Also of interest, some of the replies here, by @Kilroy and @ranchhand_:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/633857/general-printer-ink-refill-questions/

But that's the beauty of personal computing -- it's up to each user to decide what works best for his/her needs. :)

Cheers,

MM

Edited by MoxieMomma, 18 January 2017 - 09:44 AM.

#5 kullaroo

kullaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 18 January 2017 - 08:12 PM

Thanks for the quick response, guys.

I think you are right about the Win10 basic driver set. Thanks too for the link to the HP download site for the software. I'll work through that with my friend and report back. Your step-by-step advice is appreciated.

There may be a bit of a delay as I live about an hour's drive from his place and I have to attend to our mini-goats today. I'll get back as soon as we can apply your suggestion to install the HP software. Thanks to for the reminder to reboot after uninstalling the Win10 drivers.

Re the ink discussion, my friend has always opted for OEM inks in the past, so I don't expect any issues there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users