Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Repeater No Longer Giving Me Internet - Worked for 3 weeks?!?!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Shyysiryxius

Shyysiryxius

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 18 January 2017 - 03:53 AM

Hello All, 

Im a new poster and it's good to be a member. Ive got an issue im hoping you can help me with. I have a PC in a shed about 50 meters away from my main router. I have setup an old router as a repeater about midway to bridge the gap. I set it up a bit before xmas and it worked like a charm without any issues. Come last night I get back from work to find the repeater is no longer dishing out any internet. I have tried everything i can think of and i'm out of ideas. I need some help :)

OK so first some details.

Main AP: TP Link TD-W8960N

Manual: Page 73 has instruction for what i need - http://www.tplink.com/resources/document/TD-W8960N_V4_User_Guide_191001.pdf

Repeater: Huawei HG532d

Manual: Page 37 for Repeater instructions - http://iihelp.iinet.net.au/sites/iihelp.iinet.net.au/files/HG532d_300Mbps_Wireless_ADSL2+_Router_User_Guide_HG532d_02_English.pdf

The Main AP sits in my office and is connected to my NBN cable box through the WAN port and I have my office PC connected to it via Ethernet. My office PC has no issues accessing the internet.

I have configured the Main AP in the settings per the manual and set the Router to be in 'Bridge' mode and to accept the Huawei as the repeater. I understand a 'Bridge' is not what I want but TP Link calls the repeater function a Wireless Bridge. This AP is set to broadcast Wifi on Channel 1 (must be same channel on repeater an Main AP) and the SSID and password are sync with the repeater (have same settings)per the instructions for the repeater: "Set Channel, SSID, WPA pre-shared key and WPA encryption to the same value as the first HG532d (or TPLINK in my case)." The repeater is broadcasting good signal under the same SSID name and if this was a few days ago it would give me internet access.

I access the TP link via 192.168.1.1 and the Huawei is on 192.168.1.199 (was originally 192.168.1.1 but I changed this to avoid conflict with TP link)

Another thing that is strange is that while I am trying to troubleshoot today i find it is intermittent if I try to access the Huawei router from my office PC. Now if I plug the PC directly up to router I can access via 192.168.1.199 but I am able to only every now and then access the Huawei via ethernet to the TP link then wirelessly to the Huawei.

PC <---Ethernet---> TP Link <---WiFi----> Huawei

From the diagram above when all this was working I was able to configure the huawei from the office PC but now it is rare that the page will load and it has me even more confused as I would think it would be all or nothing. This is the same if I ping the device from the same PC.

Yesterday all this broke and i am really unsure why. I have disabled AV and my firewall but it made no change. I can take whatever pictures are needed so please let me know. Some settings are in this album here: http://imgur.com/gallery/z3mlt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,499 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 18 January 2017 - 05:26 AM

Hello Shysiryxius,

Your pdf downloads are extremely slow to download and the pics link you posted is dead and not showing anything. What are these routers G or N? Wireless N range is going to be shoddy at that range G will be better. Set them to AES only encryption too. In general a omni directional antenna between routers is a poor wifi bridge. That is where the signals between is critical. A better long term solution would be to drill a couple holes in the shed and house and mount a directional antenna instead of omni directional. Do that on both the TP link and Huawei if they both got external antenna's. Problem solved. Unless of course one the radio's gone out on the routers.

Edited by technonymous, 18 January 2017 - 05:27 AM.

#3 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,499 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 05:55 AM

Check the wifi on all the devices If they are functioning. If the wifi goes out like that suddenly and has poor signal afterwards or keeps dropping out, that is a sign that the radio inside it is going out.

#4 Shyysiryxius

Shyysiryxius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 18 January 2017 - 06:43 AM

Check the wifi on all the devices If they are functioning. If the wifi goes out like that suddenly and has poor signal afterwards or keeps dropping out, that is a sign that the radio inside it is going out.

Thanks Tech,

Try this link:

http://imgur.com/a/PnQFP

Not sure what happened. The issue is it was working fine for maybe 3 weeks and then suddenly im not getting internet from the repeater. It is broadcasting the signal and network without issue but I cannot get the internet to be passed from the repeater. It seems the internet dies somewhere after leaving the main AP. 

The devices are N band but as I said it worked like a dream for weeks, why if they are both broadcasting the network can I suddenly not get internet from the repeater? Im thinking it has something to do with route from the Internet to the main router to the repeater. My PC has no issue with the internet from the Main router (TP Link) but this breaks down at some point.

Again both are broadcasting the Wifi network without issue as proven by my phone app (Last image in that album).

Let me know what you think

#5 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,499 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2017 - 09:13 PM

Ok Few things I see wrong in your setup pics...

On both the routers the wifi mode is mixed 11bgn. Wireless B is so old there is no need to have it enabled. You want B off and only using G and N. Under security you have both WPA and WPA2. Again just us WPA2.

Looking at the Huawei router 5th picture down. There is no routing table pointing it to the gateway or subnet info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users