Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Drive to PC and Mac.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Futures_Perfect

Futures_Perfect

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 18 January 2017 - 01:27 AM

I am wanting to set up an external drive that I can share between my Mac and PC simultaneously. The need for file sharing between my two computers has increased, and Google Drive is just not cutting it anymore.  I was hoping to do so through my router, but unfortunately, the USB components are not operable, (thanks Verizon).

Is there a way to "split" the USB out from the drive?   Would that even work?  What would be the better way to do so? 

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 18 January 2017 - 05:00 AM

My self if i wanted to do that id just setup a old beater computer box and turn it in to a dedicated file server computer and pile old drives in to it, then put it on the lan with a good password and knock your self out.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 18 January 2017 - 02:35 PM

I'd suggest using a Network Attached Storage (NAS) solution, this would connect to one of your router's network ports.  You can run into issues having the drive formatted correctly so that it can be read by both a Windows PC and a Mac.  You can pick up a 4TB for $270 or smaller 2TB version for $199, both of those use RAID1 where it has two drives that both have a copy of your data to protect you against a drive failure.  If you want a single drive solution without this protections you want to look at the "personal cloud" drives.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users