Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

unknown networks

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 yudell426

yudell426

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:43 PM

Hello people:

i'm running windows ten on a wireless network. For the last few years, my verizon network has been showing just one connection.......mine. Lately, i have been seeing one and then two unknown network connections appearing and disappearing periodically. Why? What are they? Does Verizon allowing my neighbors to ride on my network. or is this something more nefarious? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Steven_M

Steven_M

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:31 AM

Could you provide a screenshot?

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:43 AM

Are you using WPA2-PSK (AES) or any other type of encryption?  If you are I wouldn't worry about it.

Edited by dc3, 18 January 2017 - 11:50 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 rarson

rarson

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 11:28 AM

How are you seeing these connections being made to your network?

#5 yudell426

yudell426
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2017 - 07:59 PM

Thanks guys:

I got in contact with Verizon's tech support. It seems they allow other computer users in your network area to "piggy back" on each others network connection. It severs Verizon's purposes , not yours. They said the other people can't see what's on you connection. I don't like it, but that's the way it is. Thanks for your help.

#6 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 29 January 2017 - 09:54 PM

If its not in your terms and conditions of your ISP , i would be asking Questions.

So do they piggyback on the Connection eg: Data or what ? and whos advantage is it then ?

Sounds iffy to me , but if thats what it is , what would i know ....someone will give us a Definition of the Reasoning to it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users