Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 media creation tool shrink 2TB EHD

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Samarrai

Samarrai

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 17 January 2017 - 07:50 PM

Please I need your help in the most weird thing ever happened with me.
I have 2TB external hard drive where I saved all my documents, videos, photos, files and just everything important to me in it.

Recently I've been try to download Media Creation Tool to windows 10 to restore my computer to the factory setting which I didn't require more than 30GB in worst case, however since I have enough space on my (2TB external hard drive) which I used only 37GB of it so i decided to save this download Media Creation Tool folders in my external hard drive.
And when I started to download the software the download window didn't ask me to format the hard drive or anything else. it's just start to download normally (at the same time I was checking my external hard drive to see where the files will be in it).
Later, when the download finished I discovered that my external hard drive (name and size) has been changed to be ESD-USB (F:) and the size has been shrink from 2TB to 28.5GB free of 31.9GB and when I clicked to open it again surprisingly I couldn't find anything of my original saved files (Doc,photos,videos..etc) except the Media Creation Tool folders..!!
What does that mean please?
Does that mean I lost all my saved files and documents..etc and the new Media Creation Tool replace it?
Even if we assume that, where the rest size of 2tb has been gone?
The 37GB of my original saved files can't be disappear in blink of an eye like that if we assumed the (Media Creation Tool) formatted my  external hard drive.!
So please is there're anyone can help me here on how to find my missing files or how to recover it?
I don't mind deleting all the Media Creation Tool because I can re-download it again, but the most important thing now how to get back all my very valuable files..!!

Also when I do right-click on the external hard drive there is options listed, one of them (restore previous versions) but there is no action I can take when I enter on this option.
Please take look to the picture below it may help to explain enough my issue.

Thanks you in advance
kNcTNvS.pngfZYeA1K.png
aa6RNpd.png

The Media Creation Tool folders in my EHD 3bckCQV.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Samarrai

Samarrai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 07:52 PM

Sorry I forgot to mention my system:

Laptop: HP Pavilion 15
Windows 10 home 64-bit

The external hard drive is : MEDION 2TB

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 17 January 2017 - 08:07 PM

You are correct the Media Creation Tool replaced your files on the 2TB drive. It formatted the drive as FAT32 and the reason you only have 32GB is that is the maximum partition size Windows will create for a FAT32 partition is 32GB.

What you have now is an external drive that would be used to install Windows 10. I can't believe Microsoft would allow this to happen. They should check to see if the external is an removable device (flash drive) or an external drive.

You can check to see if the files are recoverable. Please download Partition Wizard and install. Do not write anything further to the external drive. Start the Partition Recovery Wizard. Do a Quick Scan > Full Disk on the external drive. After the QuickScan look for any NTFS partitions. Highlight any found and double click it. Do you see all your documents. If no partitions are found do a Full Scan. This will take a long time on a 2TB drive.

If you find your NTFS partition with all your files then place a checkmark next to the partition and click Finish. Then click Apply.

If not partitions are found using Partition Wizard we can try a different recovery program called Testdisk. But, I don't hold too much hope. It may be you will need to do a scan using Easeus Data Recovery or Minitools Data Recovery to scan the drive for any recoverable files. Each allows about 1 or 2GB or recovery for free in order to determine if recovery is possible.

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 January 2017 - 08:09 PM.

#4 rarson

rarson

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 18 January 2017 - 12:48 PM

Your best bet, if your data is really important, is to take it to someone that knows what they're doing in terms of data recovery. Granted, lots of people out there think they know more than they actually do. The Windows 10 installation files take up about 3.5 GB, so anything that was located near the beginning of the drive, or had pieces of files near the beginning of the drive, is lost. Personally, I like Testdisk, although in this case since you overwrote the partition it's probably not the best option. Some other options are GetDataBack or Stellar Phoenix. I have not used Partition Wizard to recover data from overwritten partitions, but it is a good program.

WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT RESTORE THE FILES TO THE DRIVE YOU ARE RECOVERING FROM!

#5 Samarrai

Samarrai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2017 - 04:58 PM

I was trying to recover my original missing files but unfortunately only a few files has been recovered and most text files such as word office unreadable. however I will keep my external hard drive away from use now and store it, hopefully in the future will popup something I can benefit from to recover all my lost files.
Thank you all for your endeavors to trying to help, I really appreciated..

Edited by Samarrai, 19 January 2017 - 04:59 PM.

#6 Samarrai

Samarrai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2017 - 05:01 PM

* Please keep this thread open and any one got an idea to help do not hesitate to write to me.
Thank you all.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,670 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2017 - 05:09 PM

BC does not close threads. Hopefully somebody will post a solution but I think you may be out of luck. There are professional data recovery services and they are expensive. DriveSavers is one of the better ones.

#8 JackBowers

JackBowers

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 08 January 2018 - 06:33 AM

This happened to me too. I used MiniTool Power Data Recovery V7.5 and recovered all my files - 1.5TB of video, audio, documents, and pictures. The tool is extremely easy to use and I cannot say enough about how relieved I was to get the data back!

Then, I just used the Disk Management tool built into Windows7 and created a new simple partition on the old 2TB drive. Everything is back to normal now.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,356 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2018 - 10:14 AM

I am actually shocked that the Media Creation Tool would not (or at least did not in early 2017) check that the USB drive you were trying to use was definitely a thumb/flash/jump drive, not an external HDD or SSD, since you cannot boot from the either of the latter.

Equally, though, I'm surprised that anyone doesn't pay attention on the dialog:

mct_create_installation_media.jpg

It couldn't be spelled out more clearly than it is, as this is the only USB media type you can boot from anyway (although I haven't experimented to see if it would treat an SD Card, which is a removable USB drive that's of the same basic class, in the same way.)

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,670 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2018 - 10:29 AM

Microsoft needs to throw a big warning dialog box the drive will be formatted and partitioned. That image doesn't give enough warning. This is what Rufus gives.

Step7-rufus-confirm.png

Edited by JohnC_21, 08 January 2018 - 10:30 AM.

#11 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,356 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2018 - 10:43 AM

Well, what they should do is what you originally noted:  if the thing isn't a flash drive it shouldn't even be used.

As far as the big warning box, I'm agnostic.   At this juncture I would hope that anyone using a drive to create bootable media would understand that this involves wiping it first.  I can't recall if there is a warning subsequent to the screen shot I captured and since the only flash drive I have handy is a 4GB one, and I know the 1709 ISO won't fit on it I can't get that far.   I do see that the screen after the one I posted notes, under the USB Flash Drive radio button, that it must be at least 8GB in size.

Even if they didn't know it wiped it entirely, when I size is specified the presumption should be that this amount of space, or awfully near to it, is going to be used.  This could, of course, be problematic if someone did use a larger drive under the presumption that, "Oh, I've got plenty of room for 8GB on here," not realizing that bootable media means *only* that will be allowed on the drive and all else is wiped.

I recall a precept from one of Arthur Bloch's "The Rules" series of books on variants of Murphy's Law:   Nothing can be made entirely foolproof because fools are just so darned ingenious.  [It's been my experience that this observation is absolutely true when it comes to either ignoring warnings and/or finding some way around them.  Reminds me of the willingness to go beyond the Abandon hope all ye who enter here sign in the Wizard of Oz.]

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users