Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu install from USB.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 HunterD

HunterD

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 07:23 PM

Installing ubuntu 32 bit on dell Inspiron 6000(old)
Got ubuntu to boot but for the last 10 minutes I have been sitting at a wallpaper and status bar only.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 17 January 2017 - 07:38 PM

Please provide the basic specs of your machine and the download link that you downloaded Ubuntu from.  May be helpful to get the Model number off the bottom, but not the Serial Number, that should be kept to yourself.

CPU

Graphics Card

RAM

Hard-Drive Size

Are you trying to dual boot or just do a straight install?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#3 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 17 January 2017 - 07:48 PM

As pcpunk had said, we need more details! :)

I'm not going to offer support until i know for sure what system you're working with.

It's nothing towards you it's just for less confusion later on.

Please post the specs of your machine and we will go from there :)

Edited by Viper_Security, 17 January 2017 - 07:51 PM.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:20 PM

Hi Hunter and welcome.

Is this your PC? http://www.notebookreview.com/notebookreview/dell-inspiron-6000-review-pics-specs-2/

Regards

Nick.

Edited by NickAu, 05 February 2017 - 11:50 PM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 04:16 AM

Hunter,  :welcome: to the Linux Community of Bleeping Computer Forums! :)

Looking at the CPU specs, and the computer model, looks like Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, supported until April 2019, may be the best bet as far as compatibility goes, I've worked with right many of these notebooks & PC's of that era, and still have a couple myself. Yours is a notch higher than mine though, as the notebook has DDR2 RAM. If there's only 512MB still installed, may run into some snags when trying to run Ubuntu (what you're experiencing may be the result of not enough RAM), need 1GB minimum, preferably 1.5 to 2GB RAM. It's best to purchase a kit as opposed to one stick to ensure the timings match & all. It would be great if it would run PC2-6400 memory, as that's the fastest of the DDR2 series commonly used. 

Here's a 4GB set for $20.99 & click the Capacity tab, there'll also be a 2GB kit shown for $12.49. I firmly believe that Ubuntu will run on that computer, if there's enough memory. The Unity desktop (what you see hanging) is adding a layer that requires a bit more resources, versus the old school Ubuntu that would had ran OK on 512MB RAM, though still would had been slow. 

https://www.amazon.com/PC2-6400-Modules-200-pin-Genuine-Tech/dp/B00C53CY2C/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1484730295&sr=1-1&keywords=Genuine%2BA-Tech%2BBrand%2B4GB%2Bkit%2B(2GBx2)%2BDDR2%2BPC2-6400%2Bnotebook%2Bmemory&th=1

It could also require one of those 'forcepae' installs, I have a notebook with CPU just one series lower, and this is what may be needed here, though since you have a desktop at boot, leads me to think more RAM is needed. Or that's been my experience. BTW, that was a nice notebook for it's day, that 64MB ATI Mobility Radeon card was a good one. :)

Yet I believe we can get you going one way or the other, as long as there's ample RAM installed. So that's a critical spec that we need to move forward. We're here to assist in any way possible. 

Good Luck with Ubuntu! :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 04:54 AM

By chance I did see one of these with 4GB RAM, as well as a few with 2GB, so there's lot's of hope for a RAM upgrade. :)

I recommend that if Windows is still on the computer, to download the Crucial System Scanner to determine what upgrades it'll take. Even though you don't have to buy from them (higher priced), you'll at least see what it's capable of running. 

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/systemscanner

If that's not possible, and it's OK to boot from the install media, which serves as a Live OS, to visit this page, select your make/model from the drop down list to the left, and you'll see the same results. 

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/upgrades?cm_re=top-nav-_-flyout-upgrade-_-us-upgrade-device

I've done some looking & there appears to be varying configurations of the Inspiron 6000 series, to make sure whether or not you can run 2 or 4GB. If the latter, considering it's only $8 or so more on Amazon (link in above post), it's best to go for the max. That'll give you lots more power & a more responsive system. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users