Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please Help!!! Catastrophic Failure message

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Depthcharge

Depthcharge

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 17 January 2017 - 04:19 PM

So, just now Steel Series prompted me for an update which I did. After restart all of my custom toolbar icons had disappeared. Going into File Explorer I discovered all of those icons gone too. Same in the Control Panel. I uninstalled the latest Steel Series update and restarted. No change. I figured I would just go back to my last restore point, however it tells me that System Restore is turned off and directs me to the Settings to turn it on. This is when I get the Catastrophic Error message. Now this is patently untrue as I have gone back to restore points before. After screaming and flailing my arms about for a while, my roommate informed me that all of her icons disappeared yesterday, but a restart seemed to fix things, this cannot possibly be coincidence. Did something get past the router? I don't even know what to do. Still pretty new to 10. Something is very, very wrong. Suggestions please?!!

Edited by Depthcharge, 17 January 2017 - 04:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Depthcharge

Depthcharge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 04:26 PM

Windows Defender kindly informed me that there may be a problem. No kidding. A quick scan revealed nothing. Running a full scan now.

Edited by Depthcharge, 17 January 2017 - 04:34 PM.

#3 Depthcharge

Depthcharge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 04:52 PM

Fulls scan is coming up blank too.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 17 January 2017 - 04:56 PM

so this was a mouse software update ?

Steel series have a facebook page....

https://www.facebook.com/SteelSeries/

and also a support page....

https://support.steelseries.com/hc/en-us/categories/203128108-Mice

Seeing you dont have a backup to an external hd, it may be an idea to start there.

I would try a few shutdowns/reboots first

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,676 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 05:07 PM

I wonder who's braindead idea it was to have System Restore in Windows 10 turned off by default.  :wacko:  Microsoft probably thinks it's not needed on Windows 10.  :hysterical:

https://neosmart.net/forums/threads/windows-10-system-restore-defaults-off.13944/

I wonder if this has changed on the newer builds but I doubt it.

Edit:

If you create a new user account and login to it are the icons still missing?

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 January 2017 - 05:20 PM.

#6 HolyCowz

HolyCowz

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 17 January 2017 - 06:05 PM

@Depthcharge 

Hello you might want to put what the update was for IE: mouse, keyboard or any of the other products they make. Seems they make a few after looking at the site for steel.

I take it you have tried rolling back the driver like this:

Click start, windows system, control panel, hardware and sound, device manager, then highlight the updated bit of hardware, right click choose properties from the drop down click the driver tab,  then choose roll back driver.

If you think something nasty got past the firewall you could always get them to take a look in the malware section.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/182397/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do-how-do-i-get-help-who-is-helping-me/

Just as a future note you cant beat Macrium reflect it does backups and rescue disks the disk image once done can have a fresh os installed with all your programs and configurations in about 15 mins or less and the bonus is they do a free version.

#7 Depthcharge

Depthcharge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 06:14 PM

Ran an MBAM as well. This is what it came up with. 2 Threats detected...

Adware.DownloadSponsor, C:\Users\Redcap\AppData\Local\Temp\DMR\dmr_72.exe, , [ed10e4982e7aed49bfd76e3ca65ac040],
PUP.Optional.Spigot, C:\Users\Redcap\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\714uaqzc.default\prefs.js, Good: (), Bad: (user_pref("keyword.URL", "https://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=greentree_ff1&ei=utf-8&ilc=12&type=903578&p=");), ,[d32afe7e1395b284a5dce51f9272b14f]

Removed succesfully. Need a restart. Back in a flash. Thanks for the replies. I will address them in a moment.

#8 HolyCowz

HolyCowz

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 06:32 PM

Looking at what it found you may want to run mbams adwarecleaner to. https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/

Did you check the rootkit box before running your scan in Mbam? I think it's still off by default. A full search is always better to in my experience it finds stuff a quick scan doesn't.

The full version of Mbam will catch these before they install from experience lol. 

#9 Depthcharge

Depthcharge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 06:41 PM

@Condobloke

It was an update for the fancy multicolor backlit keyboard. Touchpad/Mouse still works fine. It seems as if rolling back the update removed the entire program from my system. I will reinstall from the drivers I have saved on my second (dual) drive. At this point, I have restarted a half-dozen times. I am missing ALL icons from EVERYWHERE, except the toolbar and they are generic nothings.

@JohnC_21

Some frikking idiot.

I am up to date, so, no, unless it corrupted system files. I'm not sure.

I will try that. Please check back.

@HolyCowz

Steel Series Engine 3.6.9 was the update. From .8

I will do an uninstall and reinstall from my backup drive (see above)

I am going to reset router password.

I should have looked at Macrium earlier as I plan on upgrading both drives in this box. I have hundreds of gigs to spare, but now I am locked out.

Thanks y'all. Mod?

Edited by Depthcharge, 17 January 2017 - 06:42 PM.

#10 Depthcharge

Depthcharge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 06:47 PM

@HolyCowz

I have been warned about ADW in the past. Not for the novice IIRC, which I am.

I will attempt a deep scan with MBAM.

Yeah, I know. I am a poor college student.

#11 Depthcharge

Depthcharge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 06:54 PM

@HolyCowz

Ran MBAM w/ rootkit.

Threats detected 1

PUP.Optional.Spigot, C:\Users\Redcap\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\714uaqzc.default\prefs.js, Good: (), Bad: (user_pref("keyword.URL", "https://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=greentree_ff1&ei=utf-8&ilc=12&type=903578&p=");), ,[0df1285453555bdb1d9d7391a460ec14]

Successfully removed.

#12 Depthcharge

Depthcharge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 07:01 PM

@Condobloke

It was an update for the fancy multicolor backlit keyboard. Touchpad/Mouse still works fine. It seems as if rolling back the update removed the entire program from my system. I will reinstall from the drivers I have saved on my second (dual) drive. At this point, I have restarted a half-dozen times. I am missing ALL icons from EVERYWHERE, except the toolbar and they are generic nothings.

I do not think it coincidence that my box was affected thusly while roomies was not. (please see OP)

#13 HolyCowz

HolyCowz

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 05:56 AM

If your worried about your router just reset the router to default. Then make sure to update it. If it has remote admin settings turn them off as you probably don't need it.

Use a good passphrase to Like but not #*8bNy%xC1+wKnvc.E@7 something random and the longer the better for both admin and wifi if you use it.

When installing stuff it is always better to click custom as sometimes that is where spigot can be unchecked before installing what it is you are installing.

I'd go to the official site and re-download the driver again this time do a custom install encase spigot is included in it. My keyboard is so old most of the letters have worn off and the only thing that glows is the dust in the sun haha.

As for the missing icons click start scroll down to the bottom click windows system and then this pc then click the desk top folder and are all your desktop icons in this file? if so just drag them to the desk top again. The blank ones on the bottom bar delete one at a time and drag a new icon to it.

Hope that helps get them back.

If your still worried about malware you can always post in the malware section and have someone take a look.

#14 rarson

rarson

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 18 January 2017 - 12:11 PM

Your problem isn't malware related, it's an issue with the operating system. Catastrophic Failure messages when attempting use System Restore indicate that there's probably multiple issues with services not loading properly. In other words, System Restore and probably other functions aren't working at all.

You'll need to do some digging and check Event Viewer logs and see which services aren't running that should be. This isn't an easy problem to fix. But as always, I recommend starting out with chkdsk /f (yes you can run /r to scan for bad sectors, but there's absolutely no need to do that unless there's major problems with the file system or you continue to have multiple OS issues). Next would be restorehealth and sfc.

In all likelihood I suspect you will have to do an in-place upgrade to fix it.

Edited by rarson, 18 January 2017 - 12:12 PM.

#15 Depthcharge

Depthcharge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2017 - 03:24 PM

Thanks for your suggestion. Sorry been away from my machine will log on later when I can do something.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users