Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

sorry for the free update to Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 boilermaker27

boilermaker27

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 17 January 2017 - 04:13 PM

I think I made a mistake when I did the free update to Windows 10, I just don't like it.  It just seems totally different from what I am used to from Windows 98 through Windows 7, and it seems harder to use.  I can't get rid of it so I am almost forced to do a total wiping out of my hard drive and opening up the partition where Windows 7 is located and reinstall that program.  I know the work involved and that I will surely lost something, but I will try to save as much as I can.  I am a bit hesitant, and I don't care if support for Windows 7 ends in a few years, but is there any reason why I should keep Windows 10?  I don't like Microsoft, now that I have a 64 bit system some of my best programs no longer work and I kind of have a chip on my shoulder toward Microsoft for that very reason.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,667 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 17 January 2017 - 04:53 PM

What ever you decide make sure to back up all of your personal data on an external hard drive before you proceed. If you have the installation media and original product code for Windows 7, there is no harm going back.

P.S. If you have any problems going back you might try to post in the Windows 7 section because somebody might be able to help you better over there.

Edited by Rocky Bennett, 17 January 2017 - 07:31 PM.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 HolyCowz

HolyCowz

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 17 January 2017 - 06:14 PM

@Boilermaker In windows 10 they by default give you the option to roll back if you did an upgrade.

To find the option follow this click Start, windows system, control panel, system and security, Back up and restore (windows 7).

Windows 10 is not that bad once you get used to it and make it a bit more like you used to in win 7 I upgraded from 7 to and at first hated it but once I had a look through deleted all the garbage and redid the layout it's actually OK. It is a lot quicker than vista and 7 I find even on an old machine like mine.

Hope that's of some help

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 18 January 2017 - 10:32 AM

HolyCowz,

You can only roll back for 10 days after any major upgrade.  It's almost impossible for me to believe that this would be the circumstance here.

I, too, would encourage the original poster to give Windows 10 a longer try, and would love to know what programs he (or she) has that will not run under Windows 10.  I keep hearing people make this claim, and I do not doubt that it might be true for a few rare exceptions, but I have programs carried along with me that date back to the XP era and all have run just fine on all versions of Windows since the one current when I acquired them.  I don't even have to use compatibility mode for most of them.  Almost any 32-bit program can and will run on a 64-bit system, though there are the very rare exceptions (and many of those seem to be games, and since I don't and never have played them I've never been hit in that way).

The thing I really like about Windows 10 is that it has brought back the vast majority of the things Windows users were familiar with up through Windows 7 that were ripped away in Windows 8.  If you add the Desktop toolbar to the system tray/notifications area, you end up having something very similar to the ancient start menu that you can pop-up from there.  I use it as my fast route to Control Panel for the settings I know are still handled under Control Panel.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 rarson

rarson

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 11:23 AM

Windows 8/10 are really easy to use if you know keyboard shortcuts. I don't use the Start Menu even on Windows 7 for anything other than searching or Control Panel. With Windows 8/10, all of the useful stuff is on the Win-X menu (right-click the Start button).

Edited by rarson, 18 January 2017 - 11:23 AM.

#6 rarson

rarson

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 11:26 AM

I use it as my fast route to Control Panel for the settings I know are still handled under Control Panel.

Control Panel is (for now*) on the Win-X menu, along with everything else that was useful on the old Start Menu.

*I'm on the Fast Ring and they've changed Control Panel to Settings now, along with changing most of the other things such as Programs and Features to open up to items within the Settings app.

Edited by rarson, 18 January 2017 - 11:27 AM.

#7 HolyCowz

HolyCowz

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 11:50 AM

@britechguy he didn't say how long he had the new upgrade for I don't get what you mean? I'm a little slow haha..

@boilermaker27 You could also make windows 10 look and feel more like 7 with classic shell http://www.classicshell.net/

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,108 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 01:40 PM

HolyCowz,

Unless someone is unethically taking advantage of the Windows 10 Upgrade for Users of Assistive Technology, the free upgrade period ended months ago now.  Since the user says "free upgrade" that means that he or she had to have completed this upgrade much earlier than the roll back to a previous build (or Windows 7) is supported.

If they have a system image backup of their Windows 7 installation, they could use that to replace Windows 10 with their old Windows 7.  They will also need user data backups for anything they've created since using Windows 10 that did not already exist and get carried forward during the upgrade.

Other than that, the only way to go back to Windows 7 now would be to obtain a copy of Windows 7 and the license to install it.  This is presuming the machine came with OEM Windows 7, which won't allow a reinstall unless the machine is old enough to have shipped with Windows 7 installation media, which is unlikely. 

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#9 HolyCowz

HolyCowz

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 03:45 PM

@Britechguy

ah ok mine still says roll back to seven and mine is 100% legit and not in any way assistive upgrade that's very weird so I assumed it was left on all the time amd didn't have a time limit.

I have reinstalled from an image a lot over the time I have had 10 so maybe that's why as the image is pretty old. OK sorry for the misunderstanding.

#10 rarson

rarson

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 04:15 PM

I have seen a lot of computers that were able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free after the free upgrade had expired.

#11 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,667 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 19 January 2017 - 06:55 AM

I have seen a lot of computers that were able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free after the free upgrade had expired.

Yeah, but it is still unethical.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#12 rarson

rarson

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:12 PM

I'd argue that automatically upgrading people's business computers with a new, almost beta operating system without their explicit consent is pretty unethical, too.

#13 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,108 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:55 PM

I'd argue that automatically upgrading people's business computers with a new, almost beta operating system without their explicit consent is pretty unethical, too.

And I doubt that you'd get any real argument on that from anyone.  The furor that ensued when Microsoft did the incredibly underhanded, "Dismissing the upgrade consent screen with 'the red X' means implied consent," trick, which was the reverse of the behavior of a closing of any notification without express consent that had been done for decades, was huge.

They walked that change back, but the damage had already been done, and justifiably so.  The fact that they did walk it back, though, at least indicated that there was an acknowledgement of what they'd done wrong and customer reaction to same.  [And, no, I'm not so naive or foolish as to believe self-interest wasn't involved, of course it was.]

~ Austin O'Malley

#14 HolyCowz

HolyCowz

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2017 - 01:06 PM

I think they also sabotaged vista and seven updates at the time to. But I am naturally suspect of everyone in a healthy way.

#15 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,108 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2017 - 02:12 PM

But I am naturally suspect of everyone in a healthy way.

Nothing wrong with rational skepticism so long as the final opinion is formed in light of available facts and subject to change as additional information becomes available.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users