Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem Reinstalling Windows Xp

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jd5

jd5

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 30 August 2006 - 11:15 AM

I have a year old Dell Dimension 8400 and I just replaced my harddrive. I am trying to install windows xp on it, but I am running into a problem. The computer recognizes the harddrive, I run the partition, and after formating the harddrive, my computer automatically reboots. At that point I am in the same spot I was before, my only option being to reboot from cd again, and reinstalling xp a second time. I am running around in circles. Any help would be great!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 30 August 2006 - 12:12 PM

Does it get to the stage where it copies over files? Normally, it does this right after the format.

It looks like this.... http://www.tweakhound.com/xp/installxp/install_8.gif
After that, your system will reboot and you should ensure that the install CD is not left in the CD drive.
At least that's what I remember....

What type of hard disk did you install?

Edited by Joshuacat, 30 August 2006 - 12:13 PM.

JC

#3 jd5

jd5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2006 - 12:25 PM

Yes, it gets to copy files, and after it completes that it says "system will reboot in ( ) seconds, press enter to reboot now." I have always left the cd in, but I will try taking it out before the reboot. I installed a seagate 160 Gb sata internal hard drive. Thank you for the help.

#4 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2006 - 12:36 PM

Try that first...If that's not the issue, it could also be that you need to load a driver for your SATA/RAID card, if you have one.

It should be one of the first screens that appear when the setup begins.
It will say, Press F6 if you need to install a 3rd party SCSI or RAID driver.

Did you get a floppy with SATA/RAID drivers for your computer.

If not, you can probably find the driver on the Dell website.

Let us know.
JC

#5 jd5

jd5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2006 - 12:43 PM

Yes, I remember the F6 prompt. I do not have a floppy drive, but I can burrow one from a friends computer. I do not have a floppy with SATA/RAID drivers, but I will check now if the driver is on the dell website. Thanks again for the help.

#6 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2006 - 12:56 PM

Try my first suggestion before you get into all of that.

Good-luck.
JC

#7 amites

amites

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2006 - 07:29 PM

hello,

I have a Dell Inspiron 1000 and am having essentially the same problem,

Windows XP will not install past the inital blue screen before shutting down (sometimes it shuts down while formatting)

I was able to install Windows 2000 without a hitch, but this CPU was designed for XP and a couple of the drivers are only available for XP...

I've tried pressing f6 as soon as the setup screen shows up tells me that it cannot find a device that requires additional drivers, and since it's a laptop without a floppy drive it doesn't allow me to "specifiy additional device"

any other thoughts on this one??

#8 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2006 - 07:32 PM

amites: To avoid confusion, you should probably start you own topic so it will get the full attention it deserves.
JC

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 05 September 2006 - 11:26 PM

hello,

I have a Dell Inspiron 1000 and am having essentially the same problem,

Windows XP will not install past the inital blue screen before shutting down (sometimes it shuts down while formatting)

I was able to install Windows 2000 without a hitch, but this CPU was designed for XP and a couple of the drivers are only available for XP...

I've tried pressing f6 as soon as the setup screen shows up tells me that it cannot find a device that requires additional drivers, and since it's a laptop without a floppy drive it doesn't allow me to "specifiy additional device"

any other thoughts on this one??

It takes more than just a processor that is XP capable, all your other hardware and software must be as well.

If you are trying to "Upgrade", you cannot upgrade to Windows XP Home or Entertainment Center from Windows 2000 Pro - you must upgrade to XP Pro.

Is your computer able to support Win XP?

Use the compatibility search tool or download the Upgrade Advisor to make sure your system, devices, and software will work with Windows XP, and install updates if available.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/up...ng/default.mspx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users