Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Referred from subforum here. RE: hard drive

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 trauts14

trauts14

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 17 January 2017 - 03:06 PM

I was greatly helped here: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/636163/formatted-hd-and-did-fresh-installstill-have-a-virus-it-appears/page-6#entry4162900

i have to get a new hard drive and have a question. My current drive is ATA. I ordered a SATA which is supposed to be compatible with my laptop. Will I have to buy a special cable? I really am not sure what I need. I know I want 1Gb and it has to be 2.5" since I have a laptop. Is there anything I should know?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 17 January 2017 - 03:22 PM

You would need a SATA to ATA adapter.  This could be a real problem since there usually isn't very much room in the cavity in which the hdd is installed and may not leave enough room for an adapter.  In most cases I would say that there will not be enough room.  You can see a variety of these at Newegg.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 03:22 PM

A better way to go about this might be to post your laptop make and model.

#4 trauts14

trauts14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 03:30 PM

http://imgur.com/0seO02S

thank you all for any assistance. my model is refurbished. under windows devices it said i have a ATA drive.

#5 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 374 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 17 January 2017 - 03:43 PM

HP 450 G217 has a 9.5mm high 2.5" SATA drive so your existing fixtures should be a direct fit to any 2.5" SATA drive.

#6 trauts14

trauts14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 03:48 PM

I appreciate the help you guys and the malware removal guys have provided. I have my windows key. I have my windows CD that came with the computer. do I have to partition the drive, or simply install the HD and then install my windows CD that came with the computer. 

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 03:51 PM

"...do I have to partition the drive, or simply install the HD and then install my windows CD that came with the computer.?"  I believe your Windows DVD will offer to set up the HD for you.

Edited by RolandJS, 17 January 2017 - 03:52 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#8 trauts14

trauts14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 03:57 PM

well, since no adapter is needed that makes things easier. thank you for y'alls assistance.

Edited by trauts14, 17 January 2017 - 03:58 PM.

#9 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 374 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 03:57 PM

If your new drive needs partitioning then a standard Windows install will prompt you to do this as part of the install. If your CD is an HP modified version it may skip that & just do it. So you should just install from the CD you have & answer whatever it asks you.

#10 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 374 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 03:59 PM

You DO NOT NEED ANY ADAPTOR (other than any fittings already fitted to your existing drive) - your existing drive is SATA & your new drive will be SATA so it will just fit. Whatever has told you that your existing drive is the old ATA/IDE has mislead you.

Edited by rqt, 17 January 2017 - 04:03 PM.

#11 trauts14

trauts14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 04:02 PM

@rqt thank you. i recently bought a 2 Tb HD for my NVR. it is amazing how HD prices have fallen in years. that is a good thing!

#12 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 04:02 PM

You DO NOT NEED ANY ADAPTOR - your existing drive is SATA & your new drive will be SATA so it will just fit. Whatever has told you that your existing drive is the old ATA/IDE has mislead you.

I think the misunderstanding came from this:   http://imgur.com/0seO02S    thank you all for any assistance. my model is refurbished. under windows devices it said i have a ATA drive.  [an earlier comment from the thread starter]

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#13 trauts14

trauts14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 04:10 PM

Rolandjs, you are confirming as well I do not need an adapter, correct? I was not sure how to understand your post.

#14 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 10:47 AM

Rolandjs, you are confirming as well I do not need an adapter, correct? I was not sure how to understand your post.

Somebody accidentally countermanded dc3's suggestion, I was simply "re-instating" dc3's advice.  Follow dc3's advice, he will not steer you wrong.

#15 trauts14

trauts14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 10:51 AM

Thank you. I'm off to find an adapter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users