Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help | FPS Drops, Stutters and more

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 TheWeirdGuy

TheWeirdGuy

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:33 PM

Hi,
Im newbie in pc gaming world so dont mind if im not saying as should be and sorry about my English language.
So i bought completly new PC. At start i was using 1920x1080 monitor, but in games like GTA V, WITCHER 3 GPU didnt run full load 99,100% as it should be. So i decide to overclock my cpu.
My biggest mistake - i didnt read anything about overclock i just get into BIOS and raised clocks to 4.8 Ghz and voltage to 1.6 V (pc just crashed and it changed to factory settings)
Then i launched BIOS and set cpu @ 4.2 Ghz and voltage 1.380 V (This was lowest voltage could i set otherwise pc crashed used aida 64 for test) (in total pc crashed, restarted about 10-15 times)
After overclock games stuttering, freezing, fps drops (sometimes screen just stuck for mili seconds but GPU usage dont drops, when freeze is bigger also usage drops, few times noticed that on desktop mouse cursor also stuck's)
Temp's are fine GPU dont hit more than 76C, cpu OC 65C, cpu default 50C, motherboard 35C, SSD's 25-32C. Also reset BIOS to default, cleared CMOS, installed latest version of BIOS. Installed newest NVIDIA driver (used DDU to uninstall old driver's)
Reinstalled win 10, contaced with MSI, NVIDIA, ASUS. Tried to find info forums/videos even took PC back to store for diagnostic's (dont know what they did with PC, but all i know is they sent videocard back to manufacturer and 
they reported that videocard are ok) So i have no clue.. Im thinking that some part is damaged. Any help will be very appreciate. THANKS <3

System:
Monitor: Acer Predator 2560x1440p Gsync to 165hz, before Benq 1920x1080p to 60hz.
Case: Corsair 780T
Fans: Corsair 12mm x 4 quite edition, H105 Thick 240MM
MOBO: X99A GAMING CARBON PRO
GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 Advanced version
RAM: Corsair 2 x 8gb (16gb) @ 3466 mhz
CPU: 6850k Broadwell-e
SSD: SAMSUNG 512 GB (win10)
SSD: SAMSUNG 1 TB (games,other stuff)
Power Supply: HX1000i
APC SMART UPS 1000V, 230V

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 17 January 2017 - 07:57 PM

Spent years in a hardcore pc hardware forum at one point in time and seeing people post in that place about overclocking  for the first time and broken hardware was conic in that place, before changing anything you should do you home work and punching it up to the mgz and voltage you did wouldn't have bin my first move, none the less lets see what we can see.

http://edgeup.asus.com/2016/06/17/broadwell-e-overclocking-guide/

Cant seem to find max temp for that cpu, probably have to look harder but ill take a guess its 70c like all the other Intel cpus of late for desktops.

What ya say your cooling setup was ?

what diagnostics have to done on your hardware so far ?

Ps nice system, cpu $650 befor tax hu, someones got cash....

Edited by shadow_647, 17 January 2017 - 07:57 PM.

#3 TheWeirdGuy

TheWeirdGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 06:16 AM

1. CPU cooler H105 Thick 240MM
2. Diagnostics reported that everything are ok, but i didn't tell them my little secret about overclocking because they coud refuse do it..
3. Also i did a lot of 
research and benchmarks.  Run Intel diagnostic tool for CPU - all passed. Memtest for about 6 hours and windows memory diagnostic tool no any error detected. Also i have 2 sticks of ram each 8gbs tried run them by one but still got freezes.

Also noticed if  lower cpu Ghz to 3.6 (all cores)there is less freezes and fps drops but still very flashy.. Maybe its explain something

#4 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 06:48 AM

Ya good cooler, what ya mean by fps drops ?

Like fps just locks or something at times meaning total fps bombs?

Sadly as well it seems many gamers have problems in winspy10 with games of late on this forum so don't know what to say on that topic, its more or less a beta os as you know.

Could try this stress test, be shore to go to the cpu tab and turn everything on, id run it a few times seeing as the demo version only allows 15min runs.

https://www.passmark.com/products/bit.htm

As well if you don't mind doing the following i wouldn't mind a closer look at the system on a hardware and software level.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/

Ps i wouldn't have gone 1.6v / 4.8gz one shot on a .14nm cpu my self, i would have raised the bar slowly and each time tested the system to see if it was ok as well that's a high voltage for a .14nm cpu, mine is a .45nm cpu and max recommended volts is 1.36v, as well in the OC guide i linked to the guy dousen't go past 1.5v

Also noticed if  lower cpu Ghz to 3.6 (all cores)there is less freezes and fps drops but still very flashy.. Maybe its explain something

Ya i do that too sometimes just for testing a system.

Edited by shadow_647, 18 January 2017 - 06:49 AM.

#5 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:30 AM

Hi:

So i bought completly new PC. At start i was using 1920x1080 monitor, but in games like GTA V, WITCHER 3 GPU didnt run full load 99,100% as it should be. So i decide to overclock my cpu.
My biggest mistake - i didnt read anything about overclock

(Emphasis mine)

Overclocking is a fine way to wreck one's computer, if one does not know how to do it properly.

I'm surprised that the store accepted the return, even for diagnostics or component replacement, under the circumstances.

It sounds as if you are lucky.

Sadly as well it seems many gamers have problems in winspy10 with games of late on this forum so don't know what to say on that topic, its more or less a beta os as you know.

(Emphasis mine)

No, Win10 is NOT "more or less a beta os", unless the user participates in the Insider program.

That is simply a false statement.

It has been in GA release for nearly 2 years.

Nor does the remark reflect in any way that the "many problems" you mention may be on older hardware systems running 7/8/8.1 that were upgraded to Win10.  Many of those systems, for one reason or another, may be insufficient for intensive gaming (regardless of the OS) or for overclocking.

It does not serve the OP or anyone else reading this thread to repeatedly express one's negative, unsubstantiated opinion about Win10 as any sort of fact.

@TheWeirdGuy: I hope you are able to resolve your issue.

Respectfully submitted,

MM

#6 TheWeirdGuy

TheWeirdGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 10:50 AM

Ya good cooler, what ya mean by fps drops ?

Could try this stress test, be shore to go to the cpu tab and turn everything on, id run it a few times seeing as the demo version only allows 15min runs.

https://www.passmark.com/products/bit.htm

As well if you don't mind doing the following i wouldn't mind a closer look at the system on a hardware and software level.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/

FPS drops - While playing some game and GPU runs on full load 99% then usage drops for no reason to 0-50% what causing freezes, lagg.. 
Sometimes there is no GPU drops but can notice little system lagg for miliseconds.. By the way there is no error, crash anything to know what causing this problem.

Did Burn v8 test for CPU, RAM, videocard graphic's and memory, local disk - all passed without any error.. it's confusing.

#7 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 12:18 PM

Just looked this up, seems the net is full of fps problems / windows 10 / updates.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=win+10+fps+drops&gbv=1&sei=eaF_WMPLCcWUsAHP9oTIDQ

I got to page 10 on google and still people are screaming all over the net about fps problems in win10, Any questions moxie ?

If you don't find a fix from 20 pages of fps + win10= wtf forum posts i recommend upgrading win10 to win7, ill look in it too but for now i need to hit the store...im out of smokes.

#8 TheWeirdGuy

TheWeirdGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 01:10 PM

Just looked this up, seems the net is full of fps problems / windows 10 / updates.

Alright, it could be win 10 agree, but i didnt had those performance issue before i OC CPU... thats the problem right here.

What about CMK16GX4M2B3466C1 ram compatibility with X99A GAMING CARBON PRO ? What's the symptoms if they are not compatible with each other.

#9 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 01:24 PM

Not shore but when iv had a computer were the ram not happy i would  "A" underclock it and or loosen timings or "B" the computer would just go insane if its not happen on that level.

Hard to say as well seeing as the memory controller is now in the cpu and not the chipset.

#10 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 01:54 PM

Bin doing some research on your cpu just for fun, from what i can tell 1.6v to the broadwell-e cpu is suicide voltage, dont know why you went their.

1.380 V is now the lowest you can go at stock speed befor it bombs O_o ?

Stock volts is like 1.1v

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10337/the-intel-broadwell-e-review-core-i7-6950x-6900k-6850k-and-6800k-tested-up-to-10-cores

https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/4lu65v/table_of_broadwelle_reviews_overclock_result/

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/core-i7-6950x-6900k-6850k-and-6800k-processor-review,21.html

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=408287

Edited by shadow_647, 18 January 2017 - 01:57 PM.

#11 TheWeirdGuy

TheWeirdGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 04:04 PM

Bin doing some research on your cpu just for fun, from what i can tell 1.6v to the broadwell-e cpu is suicide voltage, dont know why you went their.

1.380 V is now the lowest you can go at stock speed befor it bombs O_o ?

It's me. Silly one. Anyway i exaclty dont remeber how much volts i added for my first OC if i remeber correct it was around 1.46 V. After all these test i didn't find any error or problem that cause freezes.. also PC was in diagnostic they reported with hardware everything is ok. There no signs for broke hardware - no random shutdowns, beeps and so on.. So i hope to solve this by changing ram and win7 install. Did a little research about  MB and RAM - my current ram module's are not supported for X99A GAMING CARBON PRO.. Also SSD's are not supported too for this MB but i think its not big deal.

Current ram module's CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X99A-GAMING-PRO-CARBON.html#support-cpu

#12 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 06:23 PM

Just looked at the bios page for your mobo, seems theirs a lot of updates their for your cpu, you runing the newest version on that topic ?

#13 TheWeirdGuy

TheWeirdGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2017 - 06:25 AM

you runing the newest version on that topic ?

Yes, running 1.3 version (latest)

#14 TheWeirdGuy

TheWeirdGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2017 - 09:52 AM

*Frame time spikes – SOLVED
Now everything runs smooth without stutters/fps drops. This problem caused by voice chat software called “Curse”. Even if i dont run this app or just uninstall – i still had performance issues. BUT after re-install win10 and not installing this nightmare i am able run my games without any problems!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users