Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I.E. refuses to connect to Update I.E. via XP

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jally

jally

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:20 PM

When trying to update I.E. via XP, Microsoft is telling me to check firewall settings for:
HTTP port 80
HTTPS port 443
FTP port  21

"you might need to contact ISP or manufacturer of firewall software"

(Note that all I use is AVG,
...but also this week I acquired a used WRT54G2 Router.
.....so the previous owner had set various security settings

However, I Disabled Wireless Networking via the 192.etc. gateway.
(since I prefer just being wired)
Does that mean that any firewall the previous owner may have set is still in there somewhere?

Note that I do have Net connectivity so it's weird. In fact, via Firefox, when I clicked to Download I.E.version-8 it asked if I'd like to download the binary file (or something to that effect)

PLEASE ALSO SEE NETWORK DIAGNOSTICS IN MY NEXT POST BELOW, THANKS.

Edited by jally, 17 January 2017 - 01:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jally

jally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:26 PM

Note: I could not find an ATTACHMENT button, in order to post the Table-version of the below Network Diagnostics for XP:

Last diagnostic run time: 01/17/17 12:38:40 HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic
HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity

info HTTP: Successfully connected to www.microsoft.com.
warn HTTPS: Error 12157 connecting to www.microsoft.com: An error occurred in the secure channel support
warn HTTPS: Error 12029 connecting to www.passport.net: A connection with the server could not be established
warn FTP (Passive): Error 12031 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The connection with the server was reset
warn FTP (Active): Error 12031 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The connection with the server was reset
error Could not make an HTTPS connection.
error Could not make an FTP connection.
info Redirecting user to support call

DNS Client Diagnostic
DNS - Not a home user scenario

info Using Web Proxy: no
info Resolving name ok for (www.microsoft.com): yes
No DNS servers

DNS failure

Gateway Diagnostic
Gateway

info The following proxy configuration is being used by IE: Automatically Detect Settings:Disabled Automatic Configuration Script: Proxy Server: Proxy Bypass list:
info This computer has the following default gateway entry(ies): 192.168.2.1
info This computer has the following IP address(es): XXXXXXXXXXX [edited by jally
info The default gateway is in the same subnet as this computer
info The default gateway entry is a valid unicast address
info The default gateway address was resolved via ARP in 1 try(ies)
info The default gateway was reached via ICMP Ping in 1 try(ies)
info TCP port 80 on host 23.2.81.150 was successfully reached
info The Internet host www.microsoft.com was successfully reached
info The default gateway is OK

IP Layer Diagnostic
Corrupted IP routing table

info The default route is valid
info The loopback route is valid
info The local host route is valid
info The local subnet route is valid
Invalid ARP cache entries

action The ARP cache has been flushed

IP Configuration Diagnostic
Invalid IP address

info Valid IP address detected: 192.168.2.101

Wireless Diagnostic
Wireless - Service disabled

Wireless - User SSID

Wireless - First time setup

Wireless - Radio off

Wireless - Out of range

Wireless - Hardware issue

Wireless - Novice user

Wireless - Ad-hoc network

Wireless - Less preferred

Wireless - 802.1x enabled

Wireless - Configuration mismatch

Wireless - Low SNR

WinSock Diagnostic
WinSock status

info IrDA protocol is not found in Winsock catalog.
info All base service provider entries are present in the Winsock catalog.
info The Winsock Service provider chains are valid.
info Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip [TCP/IP] passed the loopback communication test.
info Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip [UDP/IP] passed the loopback communication test.
info Provider entry RSVP UDP Service Provider passed the loopback communication test.
info Provider entry RSVP TCP Service Provider passed the loopback communication test.
info Connectivity is valid for all Winsock service providers.

Network Adapter Diagnostic
Network location detection

info Using home Internet connection
Network adapter identification

info Network connection: Name=Local Area Connection, Device=Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=LAN
info Network connection: Name=Wireless Network Connection 2, Device=Intel® PRO/Wireless 2915ABG Network Connection, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=WIRELESS
info Network connection: Name=1394 Connection, Device=1394 Net Adapter, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=1394
info Network connection: Name=DSLextreme, Device=WAN Miniport (PPPOE), MediaType=PPPOE, SubMediaType=NONE
info Both Ethernet and Wireless connections available, prompting user for selection
action User input required: Select network connection
info Ethernet connection selected
Network adapter status

info Network connection status: Connected

HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic
HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity

info HTTP: Successfully connected to www.microsoft.com.
warn HTTPS: Error 12029 connecting to www.passport.net: A connection with the server could not be established
warn FTP (Passive): Error 12031 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The connection with the server was reset
warn HTTPS: Error 12157 connecting to www.microsoft.com: An error occurred in the secure channel support
warn FTP (Active): Error 12031 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The connection with the server was reset
error Could not make an HTTPS connection.
error Could not make an FTP connection.

Edited by jally, 17 January 2017 - 01:38 PM.

#3 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:31 PM

You know you could just download your updates this way too then you don't need useless IE anymore.

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=sp1

Or are you just trying to update IE or something to the newest version O_o ?

#4 jally

jally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:55 PM

You know you could just download your updates this way too then you don't need useless IE anymore.

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=sp1

Or are you just trying to update IE or something to the newest version O_o ?

There's nothing in your link re: XP except service-pak. Nothing for downloading latest version of IE using XP.

I was trying to update IE, because the MagicJack Chat-app was stating that my browser is unsupported, so I couldn't Chat via I.E.

I am able to chat with them in Firefox, but MagicJack's Remote-Agents are only able to Remotely Enter thru Explorer (to fix my dialtone issues).

So that means I need to use both the F.F. and the I.E. browsers - when they enter Remotely.

I.E. for remote entry

F.F. for chatting with them

I find that a major pain, as i'm less able to monitor the MagicJack agents' movements

Edited by jally, 17 January 2017 - 01:56 PM.

#5 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:16 PM

Their you go, that's the last version of IE for winXP, after that in true Microsoft fashion your not allowed to have newer.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/microsoft_internet_explorer_8_for_xp.html

#6 jally

jally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 10:19 PM

Yes, I know, and that's why it's unsupported, and that's why its unrecognized by Magic Jack.

But it's OK, I advanced a bit further today with a more knowledgeable Level-3 Agent, who connected with me thru an alternate type of Chat as well, so I guess you can consider my issue sorta resolved by now.

The remainder of this text is OPTIONAL (off-topic):

I was on with him all afternoon thru the evening, and he even communicated to me thru my speakers, and thru WordPad, since the Chat has a way of timing out after awhile. The process involved too much crouching down & contorting & scrounging around for various phone connectors. Major nightmare.

And we finally figured out the source of the issues (actually a final hunch of mine proved correct - that it was the phone splitter or else the wire descending below it which leads down to a horrific tangle of ancient wires in the basement.

When the splitter was lifted out of the receptacle, I was able to receive phone calls in the computer room.

But when the splitter was re-connected - I was not able to receive calls at all.

(Although the dial-tones in the other rooms became re-instated)

Whereas previously (with MagicJackPLUS + DSL) I was able to receive calls, though it wasn't so stable.

At this time, though, I have MagicJack-GO + Optimum-Cable.

So perhaps they are too powerful for my ancient phone lines?

Edited by jally, 17 January 2017 - 10:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users