Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Pro SP3 BSOD on startup (HP 530 Notebook)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 midders

midders

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:52 AM

Hi there

A little background first. I'm a long time hardware and software engineer who occasionally helps out locals with technical problems.

I was given a laptop (HP 530 Notebook) that was failing to boot (blinking cursor, otherwise blank screen) and I proceeded as follows:

1. pulled the hard drive

2. mounted it in external hdd caddy and examined contents (empty apart from two random folders)

3. made sector by sector backup of drive using EaseUS Todo

3. ran chkdsk on drive. The windows installation magically reappeared.

4. made another backup of fixed data

5. replaced it in laptop and tried to boot. No joy.

6. slipstreamed the required AHCI drivers from the HP website onto an XP Pro SP3 install disk and ran a repair install

7. tried to boot again, and I'm at the following BSOD:

A PROBLEM HAS BEEN DETECTED AND WINDOWS HAS BEEN SHUT DOWN TO PREVENT DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER. 

IF THIS IS THE FIRST TIME YOU'VE SEEN THIS ERROR SCREEN RESTART YOUR 
COMPUTER. IF THIS SCREEN APPEARS AGAIN FOLLOW THESE STEPS: 

CHECK FOR VIRUSES ON YOUR COMPUTER. REMOVE ANY NEWLY INSTALLED HARD DRIVES OR HARD DRIVE CONTROLLERS. CHECK YOUR HARD DRIVE TO MAKES SURE IT IS PROPERLY CONFIGURED AND TERMINATED. RUN CHKDISK /F TO CHECK FOR HARDDRIVE CORRUPTION, AND THEN RESTART YOUR COMPUTER. 

TECHNICAL INFORMATION: 

***STOP: 0x0000007B (0xBA4D3528, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

8. Ran multiple AV software on drive (back in caddy so the little buggers can't hide) 360 Internet Security (all engines), SuperAntiSpyware and MBAM, with no real threats detected.
9. To rule out possible hardware failures, I tried a fresh install of the OS on the existing disk which then booted fine.
10. I then tried restoring one of the backups to a new hard drive and this gives the same BSOD.

I've googled everything that I can think of, rebuilt the MBR, run bootcfg /rebuild and am currently running another round of chkdsk /r from the recovery console.

Any ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Sláinte

midders

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 midders

midders
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:55 AM

P.S. I've tried to enable boot logging and examine the log file, but whether I modify boot.ini or just enable boot logging from the F8 menu, no log file is created.

#3 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 17 January 2017 - 12:32 PM

Just download a clean copy of winxp and start over, i know i would, not a big deal.

Besides that the hardware good ?

As well have you tried booted the computer off of any live boot cds like Linux ?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/324103

http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm

#4 midders

midders
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:39 PM

As I've said, a fresh install of XP solves the issue, but I'm trying to recover some bespoke software from the Program Files folder and if I could get the old installation running then this would be simple with EaseUS Todo PCTrans.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas of what might be causing this and/or how to identify the cause.

#5 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:46 PM

just use a live boot cd of some kind if you need to recover software/data as for the error code i did link to what it means on Microsoft home page.

https://www.linuxmint.com/

Of course you need a backup computer to do this as you will need more then one hdd to back up the data, or a usb flash drive or something.

#6 midders

midders
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:26 PM

As I mentioned, I have multiple copies of the raw data. I need a working OS so I can use a migration tool to move installed program files to a new system.

Long gone are the days when one can just copy the data to a new system and have it run. And digging around in the registry for the required keys is hit and miss at best.

Anybody got any ideas how to fix the existing install?

#7 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,029 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:34 PM

Here's some information from our resident BSOD expert's, usasma, website:

http://www.carrona.org/bsodindx.html#0x0000007B

Lots of link to check out. :)

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#8 midders

midders
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:41 PM

Ooh, homework! Thx :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users