After years of perusing around this forum and learning a whole lot about virus infections and disinfection methods, it is finally my time to post here for help
I am pretty avid when it comes to finding and exterminating viruses, but this one has me clueless.
Maybe someone could help me with this one?
The problems I am having currently are:
1) A whole lot of system protected files are created in my windows installation drive Program Files folder, preventing me from installing common antimalware tools (such as Malwarebytes). The installers always give an error saying that "The folder already exists", but it really doesn't, it's just a system protected file with the name "Malwarebytes". The "Application Data" folder of each user in this system also has the same problem.
This can be circumvented by taking ownership of these files, and deleting them. Nevertheless, common antimalware software still struggles to run, as the virus is blocking their services from running. For example, Malwarebytes is unable to start the MBAM service, and hence, fails to start.
2) Hosts file is modified on every boot, and made a system protected file that is hidden. This can also be circumvented by taking ownership, and re-editting the file. Another abnormality in the drivers/etc folder is a gm.dls file of about 3000kb, that when deleted is created again.
3) I cannot run regedit unless I'm in safe mode
4) Until yesterday, I had no internet connectivity, but I fixed this by repairing the windows installation last night.
5) A lot of installers don't run at all.
6) sfc /scannow produces no log file, and gives no result at the end of the scan
Help me solve this problem awesome community!
system: Windows Server 2003 SP2 x86
Thanks in advance
Edited by jesuzon, 17 January 2017 - 11:12 AM.