Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell XPS 8900 - motherboard replacement

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 vic10036

vic10036

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 17 January 2017 - 10:34 AM

So the motherboard died from a 2015 purchase - Can I replace the motherboard with something from newegg? If so - any recommendations so that i can reuse most if not all of the dell components ( wifi/BT, HDD, memory etc)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:34 AM

Without investigating deeply the components, I can tell you the major problem you are going to have; most of the components can be re-used, but all of these retail manufacturers (Dell, Acer, HP, etc.) have their mainboards supplied by commercial jobbers, mostly from asia and the Pacific rim. The boards are  custom-manufactured to use the components specified by the manufacturer. The problem you will have is trying to find the proper mountings on the board for the current Dell CPU socket and heatsink that you will want to use. I have been down this road a few times and it never ended well. If you get a new mainboard, carefully check that the new mainboard's mounting plate will accept the original Dell heatsink mounts. If they don't line up perfectly you will have no way of locking down the heatsink over the CPU.

Others here may have additional insight.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 CyberSec_ET

CyberSec_ET

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:39 AM

So the motherboard died from a 2015 purchase - Can I replace the motherboard with something from newegg? If so - any recommendations so that i can reuse most if not all of the dell components ( wifi/BT, HDD, memory etc)

Dell XPS 8900 Desktop Motherboard DDR4 LGA1151 XJ8C4 0XJ8C4

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/401171680790?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

Edited by CyberSec_ET, 17 January 2017 - 11:44 AM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:48 AM

Dell XPS 8900 Desktop Motherboard DDR4 LGA1151 XJ8C4 0XJ8C4

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/401171680790?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

And it's used. Ouch. 

For your reference here are your specs. Notice in the specs if you have a SSD is may be using a M.2 slot along with the Wifi card.

http://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_xps_desktop/xps-8900-desktop_reference%20guide_en-us.pdf

You can also get your service manual on this page

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 January 2017 - 11:48 AM.

#5 vic10036

vic10036
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 03:33 PM

Thank you all for the information!

Dell Support quoted me 190 for the mobo if I do it myself - not a biggie - but if the mobo is DOA - then I'm basically out of luck. To get back in good graces - Dell wants me to buy the mobo and subscribe to their extended warranty plan (about 150) - hence the big reason for finding a replacement mobo minus everything else. Im not that worried about the data as everything is up in the cloud so I'll just reinstall the OS/Apps.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 04:05 PM

Dell Factory Outlet is no longer online?  Wait, you said Dell Support, is that Dell Factory Outlet?

Edited by RolandJS, 17 January 2017 - 04:06 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#7 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 17 January 2017 - 04:18 PM

Here is a supposedly new Dell mobo, tested, with a 30 day return if not satisfied. The vendor has a 99.5% satisfactory review. I am not a big fan of Ebay, but I have used it for a few things and so far had good experiences.

You might balance off the cost of the mobo against a new computer, OR using a new board and new chip. If you only got 2 years off the exisiting board that does not testify well as to the quality of the board, IMHO.

[EDIT/afterthought]:  Ok, I found this spec on the CPU: "Skylake sixth generation quad-core 3.4GHz Intel Core i7-6700 CPU"; does that agree with the CPU you have currently? If so, you might be able to find a board on Newegg or Amazon that has the correct socket for that CPU. Then buy that board, and hopefully the heatsink that you currently have will mount to it. IF it turns out that it will not mount, purchase a heatsink that will mount on that board. Asus and MSI make pretty good boards. I am not sure if you will save any money, but just a thought.

Edited by ranchhand_, 17 January 2017 - 04:30 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:39 AM

If you purchase a motherboard from newegg other than the dell and your Windows was OEM then you will need to purchase a new license but I have read where people called Microsoft and explained the problem and Microsoft transferred the license.

#9 vic10036

vic10036
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:03 AM

Hi all -

Just wanted to give a heads up that it was successful 

I purchased a MSI Z170a SLI Plus mobo for about $100. and got a new case($30) to go along with the new form factor and was able to reuse everything else. I was able to successfully transplant the processor, heat sink, cpu fan, system fan into the new system. The hard drive I did had doubts about but when i plugged it in an booted everything came right up. I just have to remove the Dell software off the hard drive but there was no data loss whatsoever. 

Thanks all for the assist.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users