Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Our Time, safe?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dippster

Dippster

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 17 January 2017 - 10:01 AM

I've signed on to Our Time, it's a match site for older adults similar to Match.com.

I'm using Webroot as my Anti-Virus and have Malwarebytes too.  In the last two days Webroot has sent me a hazardous site warning, sign off immediately.

Any suggestions?  Is the site bad, or a person on the site I might have contacted.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Edited by hamluis, 17 January 2017 - 10:19 AM.
Moved from AV/AM Software to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 17 January 2017 - 10:39 AM

Doing a search for that website....this is the #2 listing....Top 50 Complaints and Reviews about OurTime.com

dating-std-sexually_transmitted_disease-

romance-dating-computer_dating_service-d

Edited by buddy215, 17 January 2017 - 10:54 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,471 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:39 AM

Many site rating vendors (i.e. McAfee WebAdvisor (formerly SiteAdvisor), WOT, Google's Safe Browsing, Avira Scout browser, Symantec WS.Reputation.1, Webutation, avast! Online Security Plugin (formerly WebRep), etc) use a system of volunteer testers that continually patrol the Internet to browse sites, download files, and submit information. All the results are documented and supplemented with feedback from users, Web site owners, and analysis from their own employees. The advising site vendor then summarizes the results typically into into a color-coded red, yellow and green ratings scale to help inform Web users as to the safety of each tested site. While these tools are useful, they are not foolproof and sometimes may provide misleading ratings. Just because you visit a risky site, that does not automatically mean the site is bad or that your system has been infected by going there. In contrast, going to a safe site could even prompt a warning. There are legitimate programs available on web sites which are falsely detected by various anti-virus programs from time to time. This sometimes results in an inaccurate site rating/warning of potentially dangerous software when that is not the case. The use of rating sites does not always guarantee an accurate rating of the results they provide and can provide a false sense of security especially for the novice user.

With that said...Dating sites can be a significant security risk which could make you the victim of all sorts of criminal activity and identify theft.

Social Media and the Use of Personal Information

...just like any kind of cyberspace communication, using social media can involve some risk..

Once a user posts information to a social networking site, that information can no longer be considered private and can be used for criminal purposes. Even if you use the highest security settings on your account, others mayintentionally or notleak your information. And once in the hands of criminals, this personal information can be used to conduct all kinds of cyber attacks against you or your family members, friends, or business associates in an effort to obtain additional and even more sensitive personal information...Criminals who troll social networking sites looking for information or people to target for exploitation run the gamutfrom sexual predators, hackers, and financial fraudsters to business competitors and foreign state actors.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:24 PM

Where there is smoke, there is fire. Between the horrible reviews for the site and your AV giving you a warning, I would advise to stay far away from that website. The problem is finding a good website. Searching for "Senior dating" on google is like searching for "free movies", very little of what you will see will be legit. I think people take advantage of the fact that there is a large audience of Seniors who require companionship but who might not be as technological suave.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,471 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:42 PM

Cyber-criminals and scammers take advantage of all social media sites, including others like craigslist, ebay, etc.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users