Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DESPERATE HELP TO RECOVER PHOTOS

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Chiclet413

Chiclet413

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 17 January 2017 - 07:48 AM

I'm posting this in several spots, I hope that's ok because I am absolutely desperate! All of the past 5 years of my pictures are gone! My son is only 7 so it's almost his entire life. I've looked everywhere and have tried everything. I'm no computer expert or anything but I def know my way around a computer and I still can't find them. I don't even know how the disappeared. The only thing I can think of is that I had been using a duplicate photo finder program. I was moving large amounts of photos from one folder to another. But I didn't notice it while using the software. One day I was just on there and went to my pictures to find that they were gone. Not all of them though which is so weird. I would say 90% are missing. I've tried file recovery software and it found maybe 5% of them but that's it. A HUGE mistake I made was running it without setting up a diff partition and so what it did was "find" all the pictures I already had and duplicated them. It did this till it ran out of space (2 TB). So that means if they were recoverable they're not now right? Of course I've checked the recycle bin. And I've looked in all the directories I know of. I've turned off hidden folders. Is there anyone out there that can give me any hope? I'm absolutely distraught.....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 17 January 2017 - 08:58 AM

I hate to give you the bad news but If you tried to recover your photos back to the same drive and that drive ran out of space you destroyed any chance of recovery because you overwrote the free space on the drive that may have contained your deleted or missing photos. 

Hindsight is always 20/20 but for pictures that were that important to you they should have been backed up to another device or archival DVDs. 

The files may have been moved to some other directory. You can do a search using Everything but every time you write or install something to the drive your chances of recovery are smaller. At this point I don't think you have much to lose using Everything and searching for images. Use the portable version and put it on a USB flash drive, This will avoid installing to the hard drive.

#3 Miwa5

Miwa5

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:26 AM

I think there is some ways to recover some of the file or photo if you deleted them by mistake. Try to unhide the folder by follow this link and see if that helps.

http://www.wikihow.com/Unhide-Folders-in-Windows-7

#4 roberttittl

roberttittl

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:49 AM

have you been able to sort this out Chiclet413??

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 10:50 AM

Also, one can always use the PhotoRec program of TestDisk and scan the whole drive.  It can reconstruct photos from now-unallocated space that still has the original data in it.  I just used this to recover an entire drive's worth of pictures (and many of them were found as duplicates since they'd been copied to various folders over time).

If all you're really interested in is your photos, and you know they were all JPG files, I would suggest limiting what PhotoRec tries to recover strictly to JPG files and that you make the recovery location an external hard drive.  You have to remember that it's scanning through "free" space on your drive and if you start writing recovered pictures on to that same drive as they are reconstructed you could very well be writing over another of the photos that PhotoRec might be able to reconstruct later in its processing.  The disc being scanned for recovery should not be the disc to which recovered items are written.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 07:59 PM

At this point, you might consider taking the hard-drive, and a listing of all that has happened, to a business-oriented computer store's expert tech and let that person do the recovery attempt.

Edited by RolandJS, 18 January 2017 - 08:51 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#7 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 19 January 2017 - 05:40 PM

Sorry can't help much with this particular recovery (look up 'disk drill'), but, for OP afterward, and any other forum readers, there are numerous free cloud sources to store photos, files, etc....

Google Photos will store unlimited photos as long as they are not 'super-huge'/very high res...

Additionally, there are the following:

Google Drive

Microsoft One Drive
DropBox
Degoo
PCloud
HubiC
Box
Cubby (I think free Cubby as folded recently, sorry!)
JustCloud
MagentaCloud.de

Online only storage
mega.nz
mediafire

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#8 DellaVedova

DellaVedova

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2017 - 09:43 PM

Sorry to hear that you lost your important photos. Since you have tried the above solutions to try to find your photos but they were useless.

the first thing you should do is do not use the partiton where you lost your photos avoiding overwriting your patition, in that case, you can not recover your photos anymore. 

Then you should download some third party software to help you. There are many good photo recovery softwares available, and I used easeus data recovery wizard once and it is great, it is easy and convenient to use. and it helped me recover my deleted pictures. Hope it can also help you.

#9 Chiclet413

Chiclet413
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:04 PM

Sort of yes and sort of no roberttittl.  Thank you for asking.  I'm not sure if you're familiar with how RAW files work or not but basically it is a digital negative of your photos.  They are VERY large files that give the photographer the highest possible resolution their particular camera is capable of.  All it is is information though.  The file itself is not able to be viewed on its own so they attach a very low res jpeg to it so you can see it.  Well, I was able to recover those jpegs.  My raw files are around 10 mb each whereas these are only about 300 kb.  Nevertheless I am very grateful to have found them!!!!  The pics are small and low res so I wouldn't really be able to have them printed but I am very happy to have my memories back.  I'm wondering if my RAW files just got separated from the jpegs somehow and they're still on the computer.  I just have no idea how to figure that out.  Thanks for checking up!  :-)  <3

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,264 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:56 AM

You can scan the drive with PhotoRec and under the file options selection only select RAW as it will recover many other file types by default. You need enough free space on your drive for file recovery as PhotoRec recovers files in real time. The drawback is the raw file will have a generic name with the raw extension so you would need to open each and rename it accordingly. Note: The files will be recovered to the folder you unzipped testdisk to. If you have another external drive with enough free space you could unzip the Testdisk folder to it and then start the program from the external drive. Scan the drive with the RAW photos you wish to recover. All the files would be recovered to the external drive you ran PhotoRec from.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/File_Formats_Recovered_By_PhotoRec

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_Step_By_Step

Screen showing Folder Option selection at the bottom

PhotoRec_src.png

Folder Option Screen

PhotoRec_files.png

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 March 2017 - 08:16 AM.

#11 Nabctero

Nabctero

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:34 PM

I think there is some ways to recover some of the file or photo if you deleted them by mistake. Try to unhide the folder by follow this link and see if that helps.

http://www.wikihow.com/Unhide-Folders-in-Windows-7

I have tried ,but the data has not been recovered, am i operation failed ?  ,

#12 Nabctero

Nabctero

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2017 - 01:41 AM

https://www.tunesbro.com/how-to-retrieve-deleted-photos-from-iphone.html

I have tried ,but the data has not been recovered, am i operation failed ?  ,

Up to now , i have succeed restored the deleted photos from iPhone , i even believe the photos has been completely deleted from iPhone after deleted , but in fact , as long as we try scanning the iPhone , perhaps the deleted photod can be back on iPhone 

Edited by Nabctero, 12 April 2017 - 01:42 AM.

#13 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2017 - 05:27 AM

Chicle1413, were you able to verify recovery of some of your pictures?  I mean, using your picture viewer / editor, were you able to view, did the editor give you the opportunity to edit (if you wanted to do so)?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users