Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linksys WRT54G2 Router - Reset & acct. change Qs

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jally

jally

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:38 AM

Hi, upon buying a used router (Linksys WRT54G2)  I seem to have inherited a Gateway IP number that's 192.168.2.1 instead of ending in 1.1

I'd appreciate feedback on these points:

(1) I'm afraid that  if I somehow succeed in manually resetting via the RESET button, then I won't be able to get back in.

(2) I also don't know if I need to disconnect all Ethernets connecting to laptop, modem, tc.  prior to attempting Reset.

(3) I also don't know how to change Acct. info from the previous owner's username/password.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:06 AM

You can just reset the thing then open up a browsers and type in 192.168.1.1 and use the password "admin" , remember to change password to something big when done, if not hackers will laff their way in to the router.

http://downloads.linksys.com/downloads/userguide/1224642019596/WRT54G2_V15_UG_NC-WEB.pdf

#3 jally

jally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:46 AM

At this end it's not so simple. It's easy for Cisco to say:

To access the web-based utility, launch the web browser on your computer, and enter the Router’s default IP address,
192.168.1.1, in the Address field. Then, press Enter
A password request screen will appear. (Non-Windows XP users will see a similar screen.) Leave the User name field blank. Then enter the password you set up during the Setup Wizard. (If you did not run the Setup Wizard, then use the default password, admin . You can set a new password from the Administration tab’s Management screen.) Click OK to continue.

But I couldn't seem to figure out how to change the username/password via the CD (once the previous user had installed it entering her own security data)

Not just that, but when I executed the Install CD, it had stated:

Cisco setup wiz requires your new router to be configured with default username & password.

Error 323 could not access new router or gateway

follow these steps:

1. restore factory defaults for your router (for info, consult documentation

2. exit this program

3. eject CD

4. restart

5. reinsert CD

Except when I tried following the above steps, it wasn't letting me. I don't remember exactly, but I know it wasn't letting me. I'm very confused by this Router. Very difficult.

#4 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 03:04 AM

Im very confused too, why are you trying to log in with a cd or installing anything, to log in to the router all you need is the ip and the password from anywhere on the network and your in with any browser.

#5 jally

jally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 03:26 AM

To change the former user's ID to my own username + password, that's why.

Edited by jally, 17 January 2017 - 03:26 AM.

#6 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 368 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 17 January 2017 - 03:53 AM

The user manual can be found here:-

http://www.linksys.com/us/support-product?pid=01t80000003K7XLAA0

Page 1 tells you how to use the reset button to reset the router to the factory defaults - which will leave the router as it left the factory with no user information set, so you can then set up from scratch to your requirements. This would probably best be done with no equipment connected.

I can't see why you would be "afraid that  if I somehow succeed in manually resetting via the RESET button, then I won't be able to get back in" - you ALREADY can't "get in" so even if your fears were valid you would simply be in the same position you are now.

Edited by rqt, 17 January 2017 - 03:58 AM.

#7 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 05:26 AM

You can just reset the thing then open up a browser and type in 192.168.1.1 and use the password "admin" , remember to change password to something big when done, if not hackers will laff their way in to the router.

http://downloads.linksys.com/downloads/userguide/1224642019596/WRT54G2_V15_UG_NC-WEB.pdf

Agreed, that's why i was confused, i told him the same thing.

#8 jally

jally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:50 PM

The user manual can be found here:-

http://www.linksys.com/us/support-product?pid=01t80000003K7XLAA0

Page 1 tells you how to use the reset button to reset the router to the factory defaults - which will leave the router as it left the factory with no user information set, so you can then set up from scratch to your requirements. This would probably best be done with no equipment connected.

I can't see why you would be "afraid that  if I somehow succeed in manually resetting via the RESET button, then I won't be able to get back in" - you ALREADY can't "get in" so even if your fears were valid you would simply be in the same position you are now.

Actually I am able to get in thru192.168.2.1

Also, I believe the proper procedure is to re-install the CD (after Reset)

...otherwise I don't believe I can change username - rather just the password.

You used the term:

"no equipment connected" - which equipment are you referring to?

I have the following connected to the router:

3 ethernets  (laptop, modem, and magic jack) and also the power cable

I accessed that PDF several times, but I did not see where it explains which connectors to disconnect before pressing the Reset button. I had already tried the prolonged Reset until my arthritic fingers were killing me. And it did not work. Is that because I didn't know which connectors to disconnect?

OPTIONAL: the below is just to explain how i'm dealing with too much at once:

Note that simultaneous to this I'm dealing with attempting to figure out which modem to get (I currently have a rental modem).

And also - I had spent a zillion hours with various Magic Jack chat-agents, because I just upgraded to MagicJack-GO simultaneous to upgrading to Cable from DSL. See, my house phones aren't working, rather only the one in computer room works - when splitter is removed from socket. So I was told by the MagicJack Chat guy that it may be due to a corrupted phone splitter (because the phone did function when the splitter was removed. But I think it may well be the old line running from beneath the splitter. So I have an electrician coming tomorrow to check out the ancient phone lines running down to the basement. See, I think my current problems may be, because my new Cable line plus GO are too much power for the old phone lines to handle. The wires in my basement are a horrific tangle from the 1950's - beyond belief.

On top of that I'm dealing with med.appointments (may need spinal surgery, and all the crouching down & straining is worsening it. It's all way overwhelming for me. Nothing is getting resolved.

Edited by jally, 17 January 2017 - 10:09 PM.

#9 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 01:45 AM

From what i understand all you have to do is hold the reset thing down for like 5~10 sec, router should flash some with its leds to let you know it worked, once it has i might give it like 30 sec to be safe and power cycle the thing besides that the default password for the wrt54g2 is admin and its 192.168.1.1 so don't know why your talking about 192.168.2.1

As well i have yet to see a any router yet that needs a you to install anything off a cd to do anything to it.

My self i wouldn't use MagicJack-GO, id use a diffident voice over IP setup if i needed one, i just don't trust MagicJack-GO, lot of places ban the phone numbers that kind of system uses too because you can't tell from what part of the world someone is calling from when they use magicjack so its a favorite for phone scammers.

#10 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 368 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 18 January 2017 - 04:14 AM

The router should reset with or without equipment connected to it - but it would be better with no equipment connected. If depressing the rest button as described in the manual does not reset the router then either you are doing it incorrectly or the router is broken.

When I say "!no equipment connected" I mean to have the router & & it's power supply connected but nothing else (this should be fairly self explanatory)

You do not NEED the CD to set up the router - router CDs are just there to make things easier for those who don't know what they are doing & who therefore don't mind having their system messed around with unnecessarily. You can access everything from the web interface at the standard factory set IP address for the router - 192.168.1.1 (manual page 4) - which will be accessible to you after a successful reset. Some routers will not allow you to rename the "admin" user although you can always change the password - in these cases if you want to use a particular name you would ADD a username to achieve that. Also some routers can be fussy about the browser you use to access them - some Netgear routers I have  for instance will not allow you edit settings using IE11 unless you add their IP address to the "Compatibility View settings".

#11 jally

jally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 02:15 PM

Thanks so much guys for the feedback. It may interest, that in the space of the past week I've had not one or two, but three physical reasons for three confusions I've experienced:

(1) When hearing about "reset" button, I had assumed it was that black button on top of the router, because neither the quick-guide pamphlet, nor the box, explained what that button was. (I still have to look up what exactly it was that I pressed, and if that might have caused any damage.

the remaining experiences below are not relevant to the Router, but may interest:

(2) Hours of time were wasted with MJ-Chat agents and on my own, trying to figure out why Audio wasn't working, even though I checked out Systray and the thinkpad-speaker-keys (near Access-IBM button) and the System sound settings/sliders.
It turned out, that because I had been doing so much "physical tinkering" with sundry cords & cables & USB-Hub, the jack which connects to one of my Speakers had gotten disconnected.. The disconnected cord just blended in with the rest of the black tangle behind the desk, unnoticed.

(3) Huge amounts of time wasted with MJ-Chat trying to figure out why my phone connections were not functioning properly, until (with the last agent who was a cut above the rest, and had even phoned me via my Speakers, and ensured we kept up communication via WordPad even after the Chat.app's auto-disconnect nuisance)... we were brainstorming together toward the very end, and then, after he suggested changing cords, and I suggested trying a different USB-adapter,  I then had a hunch, having remembered what the phone guy who connected me had said. He said if there's problems in future, just remove the Splitter from the wall jack. (see pic. below).. Well, after that, the Agent's test-call successfully reached my computer-room phone, albeit the phones in my other rooms had no dial tone. Which probably points to the ancient, probably-corroded, phone wiring in basement (not necessarily the Splitter).

In other words, the transition from DSL to Cable (and from MJ-Plus to GO) probably created more powerful surges & speeds that the old wiring cannot handle, even if it [inefficiently] handled it the past two years. Because people didn't always reach me, even with MJ-Plus, and there had been other issues. But aside from that, even when I had the exorbitant POTS there were periods of instability, which could have been either the old copper wires running to Verizon HQ, or alternatively, could have been the old wires in the basement. But now that the POTS lines are out of the equation (due to Cable) the basement wires just might have been the culprit all along.

Re: the Router  IP-number, I had researched the Linksys forums, and found out the possible reason for the "2" instead of "1" may be because the prior owner had a combo modem-router, and so the additional Linksys router's IP needed to have a "2.1" since her combo-modem-router was already labelled "1.1". Of course, my terminology is over-simplified, but that's the gist.

1z5njuc.jpg

Edited by jally, 18 January 2017 - 02:47 PM.

#12 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 02:51 PM

When hearing about "reset" button, I had assumed it was that black button on top of the router, because neither the quick-guide pamphlet, nor the box, explained what that button was. I still have to look up what exactly it was that I pressed, and if that might have caused any damage.

Guess you didn't read the manual too hard, not trying to be rude just saying, the black button on top is to turn wifi on or off if i remember right.

router_reset.jpg

Chapter 1 page 5 -_-

#13 jally

jally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2017 - 03:46 PM

It also helps, when receiving instructions, if instructors add:
"unlike some reset buttons, Routers' reset-buttons are tiny & nearby ethernet ports"

Some people lag behind (for various life reasons) and therefore never experienced routers before until such time as Optimum finally stopped forcing bundles.

Also, btw, I had found that [at least MJ-Plus] wasn't all that bad even with possibly corroded basement wiring. It served me pretty well these past two years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users