Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstall Cinnamon?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 17 January 2017 - 12:14 AM

Hello All, i was installing my bluetooth device and for some reason one of the packages uninstalled cinnamon(oops), so when i restarted i can see the log in screen fine, but after i enter my password and hit enter, i get a "your session only lasted 10 seconds" message that only has an option of "Ok" and when that is clicked i get kicked back to the log in screen. 

and i can't reinstall using Ctrl+Alt+F1 because it also uninstalled my network stuff so i can't get an ip, i have to manually turn on my devices. and still don't get an IP.

so my question is, how do i reinstall cinnamon to my current install from a live Linux Mint18 USB?

Edited by Viper_Security, 17 January 2017 - 12:17 AM.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:41 AM

Do i understand correctly ??....you are running linux mint 18 from a live usb...?

edit:spelling

Edited by Condobloke, 17 January 2017 - 01:42 AM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 Viper_Security

Viper_Security
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:48 AM

I have linux mint 18 installed right now. used it for two weeks so far. 

i wanted to if it was possible to use a live usb of the same OS (Same ISO) to repair cinnamon, a bluetooth app i uninstalled removed it. 

hQBT2G3.png

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,082 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:58 AM

ok...if you feel i fossicking pointlessly....just tell me...

When the pc boots....hit the 'esc' key.......should bring up the boot 'choices....hitting c should bring up a command line.......then.....       apt-get install --reinstall cinnamon

??????

ps. I may well be talking out of my left boot here....

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:15 AM

for some reason one of the packages uninstalled cinnamon(oops) [...] i get kicked back to the log in screen.

-REF:https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/637592/reinstall-cinnamon/#entry4162368

It sounds like a configuration problem of some sort to me, but not necessarily one with cinnamon.

i can't reinstall using Ctrl+Alt+F1 because it also uninstalled my network stuff so i can't get an ip

-REF:https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/637592/reinstall-cinnamon/#entry4162368

You can prolly get around this using a chroot from a live-usb, as it would allow you to use a live-usb's internet connection/configuration. I can't say if reinstalling cinnamon will fix your issue or not.

Steps to chroot from your live-usb into your install:
You will need to substitute instances of "/MOUNTPATH" for the mount path of your installation's root partition.

1. Boot live-usb.
2. Open Nemo (the file-manager), mount your Linux Mint install's partition, and take note of the mount path. Usually something like "/media/mint/cdfbac13-07eb-4fe2-8123-3ce65705b4d8".

3. Make sure you're connected to the internet.
4. In terminal type:

sudo mv "/MOUNTPATH/etc/resolv.conf" "/MOUNTPATH/etc/resolv.conf.original"

5. In terminal type:

sudo cp "/etc/resolv.conf" "/MOUNTPATH/etc/resolv.conf"

6. In terminal type:

sudo mount --bind "/proc" "/MOUNTPATH/proc"

7. In terminal type:

sudo mount --bind "/sys" "/MOUNTPATH/sys"

8. In terminal type:

sudo chroot "/MOUNTPATH"

9. In chroot terminal type:

apt-get install --reinstall cinnamon

Remember, in the chroot you are "root" so there is no need to preface elevated commands with "sudo".

10. In chroot terminal type:

exit

11. In terminal type:

sudo umount "/MOUNTPATH/sys"

12. In terminal type:

sudo umount "/MOUNTPATH/proc"

13. In terminal type:

sudo mv "/MOUNTPATH/etc/resolv.conf.original" "/MOUNTPATH/etc/resolv.conf"

14. Reboot.

Edited by hollowface, 17 January 2017 - 02:20 AM.

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,082 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:29 AM

:hysterical: ....I knew i was talking out of my left boot !!!....

GcnI1aH.jpg

#7 Viper_Security

Viper_Security
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:07 PM

No worries Condobloke, was probably my fault for explaining terribly.

@Hollowface that worked like a charm, I'm back on my desktop, but now it says " the system network services are not compatible with this version" 

No internet access, it shows i have no interfaces, (also, im heading to work now so i won't be able to test anything until i get back home) 

hQBT2G3.png

#8 Viper_Security

Viper_Security
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:10 PM

Probably nevermind on the network thing. i just added "NetworkManager" to rc.local, rebooted and now it connects like it used to. 

hQBT2G3.png

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users