Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my router's wireless Disabled? (see attached)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jally

jally

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:16 PM

Hi, is anyone here familiar with the Linksys WRT54G2?

If so, can you please advise whether i've successfully Disabled the Wireless, as per my attached screenshot?

'm confused, because there's no acknowledgement stating:

"You have effectively DISABLED your wireless signal"

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:25 PM

Chapter 3 page 14 and no your not disabled yet, you have to put wireless networking mode on disabled, then save.

check the rest of the pages for more of the same and do the same, that router has twin wifi cards going if i remember right.

http://downloads.linksys.com/downloads/userguide/1224642019596/WRT54G2_V15_UG_NC-WEB.pdf

#3 jally

jally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:58 PM

OK, shadow, thanks, once I Disabled Wireless-Networking-Mode, all the rest of the Basic Settings turned grey (from black).

The problem is, re: the rest of the pages, I tried understand the PDF, but I couldn't. It's very very  unclear to non-tech people  which Tabs (and sections) to go to in order to totally disable wireless.

Which tabs do I go to  in the Online Gateway to completely disable wireless?

Also:

Once wireless is Disabled, can I disregard all the Wirless security-settings the previous owner set on the router? Will the router be secure anyway, even if wireless is disabled?

(I'm working now on editing screenshots, to show what's displaying)

Edited by jally, 17 January 2017 - 12:46 AM.

#4 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 12:33 AM

Just check all the tabs for wifi and do the same thing to all tabs and you should be good.

Remember as well to use a big password for your router too, if not hackers can get in with out problems if you leave it on the default password.

#5 jally

jally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:09 AM

There's already an 8-digit password (inherited from the previous user along with her username).

I also seem to have inherited a Gateway IP number that's 192.168.2.1 instead of ending in 1.1

I'm afraid that if I somehow succeed in manually resetting it, then I won't be able to get back in.

I also don't know if I need to disconnect all Ethernets prior to attempting Reset.

I also don't know how to change Acct. info from the previous owner's username/password.

OK, here's my screenshots. Should any settings  in the attached menu's be changed?

BTW, i already disabled the wireless MAC filter, thus no screenshot of that menu.

Attached Files

Edited by jally, 17 January 2017 - 01:22 AM.

#6 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:21 AM

Looks ok.

#7 jally

jally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:28 AM

OK, thanks! I guess I'll post the other Qs separately.

#8 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:34 AM

In any case i know that router and if wifi is enabled theirs a light on it that will show you if wifi is running or not on the router, when the light is off you know your good on the wifi topic and no one can steal your wifi or hack in that way by war driving.

If i were you too on that router you can setup port blocks, block everything under 1024 but 53.80,443 if i were you.

#9 jally

jally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:52 AM

If i were you too on that router you can setup port blocks, block everything under 1024 but 53.80,443 if i were you.

Sorry, I don't follow :unsure:

#10 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:57 AM

Guess you don't know what a TCP/IP network port is, all good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users