Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstall Mac OS that is not available on the app store.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 iMacg3

iMacg3

Bleepin' PowerPC G3

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 1,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:15 PM

I recently bought an iMac that has OS X El Capitan on it. I googled the model number and I found that El Capitan is the maximum OS. I want to factory reset the computer, but how do I do that? Is there a special recovery partition I need to go to?

Thanks in advance.

Regards, iMacg3

If I do not reply to your malware removal topic in 48 hours, please send me a PM. 

"Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 iangcarroll

iangcarroll

• Members
  • 658 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:35 PM

You may have a recovery partition which you could use, but you can also just download El Capitan from the App Store with this link.

Ian Carroll https://ian.sh • Certly Inc

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:59 PM

You may have a recovery partition which you could use,

As noted, there should be a recovery partition. You can access that recovery partition by holding down Command-R when you boot the Mac. The recovery partition will have the same version as what is installed.

If for some reason the recovery partition is damaged or is not there, then holding down Command-R when you boot will boot into the Internet Recovery mode...assuming your Mac has it (Macs from around the macOS Lion, aka 10.7, time frame and newer will have it). If you can boot the the Internet Recovery mode, then you will be able to download the version of the macOS that the Mac you have originally shipped with. From there, you would need to update using the versions available in the App Store (see below).

For more information about built-in recovery options of the macOS, see the following page:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

but you can also just download El Capitan from the App Store with this link.

Try the link...but I am not sure if it will work or not. Traditionally, the App Store will only have the latest version of the macOS available (in this case, Sierra, aka 10.12) UNLESS you had previously "bought" (i.e. download the free upgrade installer for 10.9 thru 10.11 or actually paid for the 10.7 or 10.8 upgrade installer) the older versions of macOS. The link did work for me, but I had "bought" the El Capitan upgrade before Sierra came out. I am not sure if it will work for someone who has not. If the link does not work, then the original poster should be able to call Apple and "buy" it through a telephone order that will then make it appear on their purchased list.

#4 iMacg3

iMacg3

Bleepin' PowerPC G3

• Topic Starter

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 1,752 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 10:57 AM

I reinstalled it from Internet Recovery Mode and it worked fine. Thanks for your help!

Regards, iMacg3

If I do not reply to your malware removal topic in 48 hours, please send me a PM. 

"Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users