Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How does Kindle for PC work? Where are ebooks actually stored?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:39 PM

I'm considering getting the Amazon Kindle app for my PC, if I can get it to run on my old XP machine. The app description claims,

Kindle for PC reading app gives users the ability to read Kindle books on an easy-to-use interface. You’ll have access to over 1,000,000* books in the Kindle Store, including best sellers and new releases. Amazon’s Whispersync technology automatically syncs your furthest page read, bookmarks, notes, and highlights across all your devices that have the Kindle app installed and across any Kindle device. That means you can start reading on one device and pick up where you left off on another device. (* Selection and price of Kindle books in the Kindle Store vary by country.)

It also claims,

• Buy once, read everywhere. Sign in with an Amazon account, and sync Kindle books across all your devices that have the Kindle app installed and across any Kindle device.
  • Search inside the book to find a topic, character, or section you want to visit.
  • Customize your reading experience by choosing the background color, font size, and number of reading columns.
  • Highlight, take notes, and add bookmarks in any book. Look up word definitions and listen to how they are pronounced.
  • Get free book samples - read the first chapter free before you decide to buy.

Where are the ebooks actually stored? Are they on each device or in the cloud? Do I need an Internet connection to be able to read them?

It says I can start reading on one device and pick up where left off on another one. Is this information stored in the cloud or on each device and synched up (assuming both are connected to the Internet)?

Same question re bookmarks?

I can add bookmarks.

Running Win 10 & Office 365.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:46 PM

All i know is Ebooks have DRM so ill pass on that topic for life, books you buy at the store are softer on the eyes and last longer, can't be infected with virus and don't have DRM and i can pass em to a friend to read or sell em any time i want.

#3 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:59 PM

All i know is Ebooks have DRM so ill pass on that topic for life, books you buy at the store are softer on the eyes and last longer, can't be infected with virus and don't have DRM and i can pass em to a friend to read or sell em any time i want.

Yup, and paper books are so easy to annotate, cross-reference, add bookmarks, and you can carry hundreds or thousands of them in a handbag. And if you run into a word you don't understand, you can just click on it and get a definition. And if you happen to want a book while away from home, you can just log into your bookshelf at work or at a friend's house and access it.

I bet you would feel differently if you were the author.

#4 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 17 January 2017 - 12:28 AM

Well at lest if Ebooks had no DRM i would be more interested, i know normal books don't and if i want to copy something out of one on to some paper the DRM police dousen't kick in my door and spray my face with bear repellent as they scream at me that im evil and a pirate or something.

By the way photocopying machines + books are the tools of satin.

#5 opera

opera

• Members
  • 969 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:25 AM

Hi Cynthia,

I have an Amazon Kindle Ebook reader (not Kindle Fire)

You need a connection and an account to select your books from here

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kindle-eBooks-books/b?ie=UTF8&node=341689031

I usually download 6 or so a time.

When you have read them on your Kindle you can just delete them from it. They are stored in the cloud as well so if you wanted to read the same book again you can re-download it from your account without paying for it again.

Some books are free, some cost next to nothing (deal of the day) and others cost a bit more.

I don't think I would consider getting an app just so I could read Kindle books on my PC probably because I like the portability of reading anywhere :)

#6 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:57 AM

Hi Cynthia,

I have an Amazon Kindle Ebook reader (not Kindle Fire)

You need a connection and an account to select your books from here

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kindle-eBooks-books/b?ie=UTF8&node=341689031

I usually download 6 or so a time.

When you have read them on your Kindle you can just delete them from it. They are stored in the cloud as well so if you wanted to read the same book again you can re-download it from your account without paying for it again.

Some books are free, some cost next to nothing (deal of the day) and others cost a bit more.

Thanks

I don't think I would consider getting an app just so I could read Kindle books on my PC probably because I like the portability of reading anywhere :)

I didn't mean to say that it was just for the PC. I am trying to find out it is will work on the PC. I downloaded the installation program, but it isn't working.

#7 opera

opera

• Members
  • 969 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 17 January 2017 - 03:15 AM

The latest version of the Kindle for PC app can be used on any computer running Windows 7, Windows 8 or 8.1 or Windows 10 in Desktop Mode.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201245960

Looks like you are out of luck Cynthia.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 12:20 PM

Cynthia Moore

How would you feel if you were an successful author with a couple of best sellers and the public was able to purchase your books, copy them, and distribute them as the see fit?  I suspect that you would have visions of dollars flying out of the window in your office and would love to have a three leg race to the nearest proctologist.

The purpose of DRM is to prevent unauthorized redistribution of digital media and restrict the ways consumers can copy content they've purchased.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:01 PM

I had someone suggest that my last post appeared to be aimed at the OP.  My intentions were to make her aware of the significance of DRM which shadow_ has suggested is a waste of time.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:29 PM

I had someone suggest that my last post appeared to be aimed at the OP.

It was addressed to me, but, since it was essentially a restatement of what I already said to shadow, I assumed that it was actually directed at him/her/it.

My intentions were to make her aware of the significance of DRM which shadow_ has suggested is a waste of time.

But now you say that it was intended to make me a aware of the significance, so I'm not so sure. If you have confused me and shadow, then I am insulted.  :nono:

I don't think shadow was saying that DRM is a waste of time. I think his point was that it is inconvenient to him and he doesn't care a fig about the rights of the author.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:50 PM

I would be insulted too if someone confused me with shadow as well.  And yes, they do give the impression of not caring about much of anything that occurs outside of what they deem important to them and their own little world.  Sorry for any confusion I may have created. :thumbup2:

The DRM is similar to a patent, it protects the intellectual property of the author.  I believe this to be very substantial and needed in today's world of hackers. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users