Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Kindle for PC & Win XP

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore

• Members
  • 269 posts
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:23 PM

I would like to get the Amazon Kindle app for my PC, but it is running Win XP. The App page says,

Platform: Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7

Several people asked in the Q&A if it runs on XP and most people said it does. In another place on Amazon, it says,

Note: Kindle for PC applications running a software version below 1.14.0 are no longer supported. To continue reading on your app you can easily download and install for free the latest version of the Kindle for PC. If you are running an operating system that is not compatible with our app, you may continue reading from your computer with Kindle Cloud Reader. Additionally, if you are running Windows XP, you will be able to use only up to Windows for PC 1.16.0.

So, does anyone know for sure whether it runs on XP?

PS: I wasn't sure where to post this. If this is not the right place, please advise and/or move it.

Edited by Cynthia Moore, 16 January 2017 - 09:25 PM.

Running Win 10 & Office 365.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 01 February 2017 - 06:17 PM

From the Amazon quote, it seems as if version 1.16.0 will still work with Windows XP and version 1.16.0 is "above" version 1.14.0, so it should still be supported and work. The question it seems to me is whether or not Amazon provides a link to still download version 1.16.0. I would try the Amazon site to see which version it gives you. If it does not work, there are third party sites that might offer it or your could contact Amazon support.

Your other option is to use the Kindle Cloud Reader, as suggested. It should work with a browser in XP and then works similar to the actual Kindle PC app and does appear to still offer offline reading.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users